CHAPTER 6: Everything Stays

"Harold, what is he doing here?" (Y/N) pulled Harold aside, isolating him from George and Melvin. "Well, I-"

"Have you not realized that you've soiled one of the main objectives of these private tutorials?" (Y/N) interrupted. "They are meant to be kept a secret so that people like Melvin don't distract us!"

Harold felt a lump in his throat- yet also the courage to answer for his actions. "Look, I know you guys aren't on good terms at the moment. But please, give him a chance, it's the least you could do for shutting him out for so long." This caused (Y/N)'s jaw to drop. "The least I could do?!- I don't owe him anything!"

"Well, you kind of do. You never allowed him to speak to you when he wanted to apologize for his absence. And he's been trying for the past five years, y'know?" Harold handed her a comforting touch on the shoulder to support the weight of her guilt.

"Couldn't you just spare him a few minutes? Then you can decide if you want to ignore him for the rest of your life?"

(Y/N) sighed, surrendering with her breath though disapproving with her arms crossed. "It's not as easy as you think."

"Please?" Harold's dark beady eyes melted her heart in awe. (Y/N)'s concern didn't evaporate into thin air, but she felt somewhat relieved when she saw this. "Go join George and Melvin, I just need to sort out my things.* She ushered him away to hide her warm expression.

Just as (Y/N) instructed him to do, Harold sat on a bean bag next to George, while Melvin sat on the other side, fixing his glasses.

Not long after, (Y/N) entered the room, slipping through the curtains that hung from the doorframe. She joined the bean bag circle with her social studies book laid on her lap.

Night had fallen over the children's treehouse. Its moon showering the garden with its light, forming a moon glade in a small puddle beneath it. The sky was clear and the cold mist was welcomed at this hour- only if it promised not to fog. The streets were now empty, who could possibly be up this late? 

George and Harold were fast asleep in their bean bags, their small bodies curled up in comfort. The sight of the two boys rewarding themselves with sleep, painted (Y/N) a smile on her motherly face.

"Sometimes I wonder when the sugar would finally burn them out." Melvin commented out of the blue. His eyelids, too, began to collapse over his cheekbones.

(Y/N) simply nodded, her smile resizing itself to a blank look. "You should smile more often." Melvin noticed. "Even around people like me, you should smile."

"I prefer not to." She huffed. "That way, people like you can't read me." (Y/N) walked across the room to gather her things. The reply didn't have much impact on him, it was predictable. "Still not going to shed some light on what I've done to you?" He sighed, already knowing the answer.

"It's getting late. " (Y/N) swung her backpack strap over her shoulder and began climbing down the ladder. "It was nice while it lasted." Added (Y/N). Melvin leaned in the doorway of the treehouse, his lips in a slant. "At least let me walk you home." He started descending the steps of the ladder. 

(Y/N) raised a brow, allowing him to further elaborate. "I, uh, have a date tomorrow. And... I'm afraid of the dark." Melvin folded his lips, embarrassed- successfully catching (Y/N)'s attention. She spat a hardy laugh, "Are you seriously telling me right now... that you- HA- have a date? Oh, please! Who on earth would find you attractive? HA!" A tear shed from her tightly shut eyes. 

Melvin stumbled, "I-" Only to be interrupted by another burst of laughter. "And you're afraid of the dark? Gee, you're quite the riddle, Sneedly! HA! Oh, boy... whoo!" (Y/N) wiped a drop off her cheek, satisfied to see the bashful Melvin.  "I'll let you walk me home, alright. But only for the sake of that poor girl you'll be seeing tomorrow!" (Y/N) desperately caught her breath, giddy chuckles slipped in between. 

Melvin was unusually quiet.