Chapter 11

I'm waiting at the apartment when Kelly calls me to tell me he's running a little late, he's helping Renee's son. So I decide to go to Molly's.

I'm at the bar with Sylvie and Gabby serves the customers. We discuss her trying to have a baby with Matt. I have a sort of illumination that happens in my head all of a sudden, "sorry girls but I have to go". Before I get back to my apartment, I go to an all-night pharmacy and buy three different pregnancy tests. I go home and use all three. Five minutes later, the verdict comes in. There is no doubt that I am pregnant.

We've only been going out with Kel for a few weeks, I don't know how to tell him and I don't know how he'll react. Anyway, I didn't waste any time getting pregnant. It's only been a month since we started sleeping together, it can't get any quicker than that. In the end, Kelly didn't come to see me because he left Renee's too late.

The day after tomorrow we have a shift. When I arrive at the station, I hurry to go to the changing rooms while avoiding to cross Kelly. Since yesterday, I have been avoiding him. I haven't answered his texts or his calls. I don't see how I can tell him we're having a child when he's spending all his time with Renee right now.

I see him chatting with Stella and Casey in the common room over coffee. I decide to go to the garage to take inventory of the ambulance. I've been there for a few minutes, when Renee arrives with her son. Kelly goes out with Stella and the little one throws himself on Kelly. I watch them from a distance and when I see him interacting with the child, I tell myself that he will certainly make a very good dad.

I see Stella talking to Renee. I don't know what they are saying to each other but Stella is pointing at me. A few minutes later, Renee leaves with her kid. I don't know what Stella told her but I don't care because it's scaring her away.

We're at lunch eating the Bolognese pasta that Mouch has prepared with Trudy's help. Unfortunately for me, the only free seat is next to Kelly. I try to sit down looking like nothing but I barely have my buttocks on the chair when Kelly starts talking to me already.

"What's wrong with you, Malia? You've been avoiding me since the other day" Kelly asks me. "Nothing at all, don't worry, it's nothing" I answer by looking at my plate. "If it's about the other night, I've already told you I'm sorry" he adds. "No, it's not directly related to that. Look, we'll talk about it after the shift. It's not the kind of discussion I want to have at work in front of all my colleagues" I reply.

"Deputy Director, what brings you here?" asks Boden. "I've got some news for 51. Director Stetton has asked me to come and tell you that he has officially designated Chief Wallace Boden as his replacement" says the Deputy Director. Everyone is bursting with joy. "The position is not yet secured but this support is critical to the mayor's decision. Congratulations" adds the Deputy Director. "Thank you, sir" Boden says, shaking his hand. I hear Casey telling Kelly that this is good news, "let's wait and see how Grissom reacts," says Kelly. Even though I'm angry with Kelly, I know Grissom is pissing him off right now so I grab his hand and interlace our fingers. I don't have to say anything, he knows I'm there for him.

The rest of the shift goes by without too much trouble. In the evening, we're at Molly's.

I don't drink alcohol as usual but just a mint water. Kelly asks me why. I go to answer him and tellhim the news when Renée arrives. Her son has disappeared and Kelly goes withher to try to find him. Having no more reason to stay at the bar, I go back tomy apartment.