Love and Loss

"Just one last time, sweetie. Just one last time before you are married," Cecily's father cooed at her, gently touching her cheek. She flinched away and grimaced to herself. 

She assumed that since things were going so well with Mr. Cartwright, she wouldn't be asked to do it again. But, as they had pulled up to the familiar location, she knew she must do what was expected of her. 

She turned to get out of the carriage, praying that this would be the final time she would have to endure this torture. "That's my girl," her father said, following her out.  

When they entered the house, Cecily's father sat at his usual spot on the couch while she climbed the long staircase, dreading the meeting that was about to take place. She had no idea what kind of man was going to meet her, it could be the infamous Ripper for all she knew. 

When she reached the room, she walked inside and sat on the bed where all her nightmares had been played out over and over again. To alleviate some of her fear, she thought of Julian. She would never tell him, of course, about the things she was forced to do all her life, and somehow she knew that if her past came into the light, he would leave her on her own. He was just that type of man. 

Her thoughts were quickly interrupted by the opening of the door. She looked up through her thick lashes and awaited the face that would soon be before her. Nothing could have prepared her for who she saw. Nothing. 

* * * 

It was actually quite a common occurrence for a wealthy upper class male to sell his daughter's body to a high paying individual, even if he refused to reveal his identity, just as Jack was doing now. 

He strode into the room outside where the girl was waiting. A man had met him downstairs, presumably a bodyguard or a driver, to collect the money and to direct him to her room. All the while, he had his hat low on his head so his face could not be seen. 

He'd never aimed his kill at an upper class girl before but he thought it would teach the fathers who did it a lesson. He knew deep down that it wasn't her choice, but he did not like to think about that. Only the sins they were committing was on his mind as he opened the bedroom door slowly.  

He lifted his head to meet her eyes, after all he wasn't too concerned about hiding his face to her. She wouldn't be alive much longer so there would be no danger of being found out. The big deep blue eyes that met his were a pair that he never expected to see.  

"C-Cecily?" he choked out. 

Her eyes had widened at the realization of her identity. "What are you doing here?" she asked, quickly covering her exposed skin.  

"I did not know it was you. I wouldn't have come!" he babbled, so taken aback by meeting Cecily of all people. He could not kill Cecily. She was her friend.  

"I can't believe you'd subject yourself to such a thing, anyway. I think I might just have to tell ---" 

"No! Please don't tell her. I'm begging you. She's all I've got," he pleaded with her. 

"If she's all you have, then why are you here?" Cecily spat back, placing her hands on her hips. 

Now he knew what he had to do. She'd seen him. He could not just let her go and tell the only person that mattered to him something that would destroy their relationship. And this wasn't even as bad as what he was capable of. 

"I'm sorry, Cecily but... I can't let you do that," he said softly. 

"What do you mean you can't let me do that? I'll do whatever I wish."