Courting and Confessions

"I'm very glad you could make it," Benjamin said to Pippa when she arrived at his house for their date. She was going to have dinner with him and his family and this would be the first time she would meet his brother and father. She was terribly nervous that she would make a fool out of herself.  

"I wouldn't have missed it," she smiled up at him. Everyone believed that if this meal went well, he would ask her to court him and this idea made her even more nervous than the prospect of meeting his family.  

His parlor maid took her coat when she walked through the door and went to go put it in the front closet while Benjamin offered his arm to escort her to the front room where his family was awaiting.  

First she spotted his father who was the spitting imagine of Benjamin. He had the same sharp cheek angles and the same beautiful blue eyes. His hair was slightly less dark than Benjamin's though, and he had lines on his face indicating his older age, though he wasn't very old. She then looked to his brother, Jonathan. He had the same shade of black hair that Benjamin had as well as the Moore family's bright blue eyes. His face, though, was much more soft and his features were delicate as opposed to striking.  

"I'm so glad to finally meet you, dear Pippa. We've heard so much about you!" his father said first. His voice was very full and jolly.  

"It's my pleasure, Mr. Moore. Thank you for inviting me into your home," Pippa said graciously, desperately trying to make a good impression.  

"Of course! I always welcome beautiful ladies like yourself into my home," he said. She felt Benjamin twitch next to her but did not have time to think about why because his father continued talking. "Ah, I almost forgot. This is my other son, Jonathan. Jonathan, say hello to Pippa." 

"Good afternoon, Pippa. I've heard...a little too much about you," he said, smirking at his older brother. Clearly she was a reoccurring topic. 

"Don't listen to my brother. He does not even remember what he had for breakfast this morning," Benjamin laughed a bit nervously, probably because his brother had just told Pippa how much he talked about her. 

"Oh, on the contrary, brother. I had eggs and sausage, and it was quite good." 

"Now, now, boys. Not in front of the lady. Shall we go in for dinner, now? I'm starved!" his father said, leading them all into the dining room.  

It was quite modest compared to most of the dining rooms she had been in, but it was still extravagant in it's own right. Benjamin pulled out a chair for her to sit in that was right next to his father and directly across from him. Jonathan sat next to Benjamin.  

"How is your father, Pippa? I seem to recall speaking with him at a function of some sort recently. He works at the church, correct?" Mr. Moore said, starting off the conversation. 

"Yes, he works at the church. And he's quite good, thank you for asking." 

"Good work, that is. Nothing like getting paid to be close to God," he laughed heartily, digging into his food as it was laid in front of him. 

Pippa ate delicately and slowly. She tried her hardest to act like a proper lady, if only for one dinner.  

"How do you feel about Benjamin's work at the newspaper?" his father asked, his voice holding a faint trace of disapproval. 

"I think it's quite admirable. I know that he does not have to work so to lend his hand to help the paper, which I hear is quite busy, especially with all these murders happening, is a very nice thing to do," she explained, sipping her wine daintily afterwards.