Part 7

Morning took its time in passing as Jimmy lay spread out on the bed.  His hand shielded his eyes from the narrow strip of light shining through the window at the perfect angle to reach his face.  What luck was this?  He was just settling into the incredible feeling of relaxation, and the entire universe had lined up perfectly and precisely to deliver this demonic light right to his eyes.

Jimmy sighed deeply as he rolled out of bed.  Glancing at the clock, it was only 7:21 in the morning.  Sleep had felt so good.  He ambled groggily towards the bathroom while rubbing his eyes.  He stripped off the clothes he was still wearing and stepped into the shower.

He stared at the knob for a moment.  The feeling of tiredness was still in control of his body as the seconds passed and his eyes continued to stare blankly at the knob.

"How does this stupid thing work anyway?" he thought to himself.

Jimmy reached aimlessly at the knob, missed, then caught it on the second pass.  He turned it.  Cold!  Incredibly cold!  Jimmy's mind collided with the walls of his skull as the intense sensation of the freezing water sent frantic signals through his limbs, across his chest, and rushing toward his brain, where they seized his full consciousness and dragged it kicking and screaming back into his body.

Wrong direction.  Jimmy hastily spun the knob in the opposite direction until the warm flow of water soothed his shivering body.  This was becoming one heck of a week already.  He did his best to push the excitement of the week from his mind as he showered.  This was his time off.  Perhaps Uncle Lucas was right.  Perhaps this break was exactly what he needed right now.

Jimmy turned off the water and stepped out the shower.  He brushed his teeth and combed through his hair.  He put on a pair of dark blue jeans and a plaid button-down shirt.  Jimmy slipped into his shoes, put on his jacket, picked up his bag, and walked out the door to his uncle's car.