Chapter 8

"Wooow, what a performance. Very smooth, Inigo." Inigo frowns as Sylvain claps sarcastically, a teasing smile on his face. "It was a fluke! The ladies at home are always charmed by my dashing looks. Not like you did any better."

Sylvain scoffs, "you sure about that? I beg to differ." "You're both equally pathetic." Gerome sighs, taking a seat on one of the chairs used for tea parties outside. "Ah, Gerome! Surely you vouch for me in this buddy." "No. You're just as helpless here as you were before."

Inigo clutches his chest, "you wound me Gerome." "Not my intention, but the truth often stings." Sylvain whistles, "wow, you really don't pull any punches. You're just like Felix." "And you're just like this buffoon."

"Oh? Finally, someone else who can put you in your place besides me, Sylvain." Sylvain grins, patting Felix's shoulder As he leans against the wall. "Felix! You've met Gerome and Inigo, right? The new students under the professors watch?" Felix nods, "Gerome fights well. I could hardly beat him. Which makes me ask, your fighting style and instincts are incredible, feels like you've been doing this for a long time."

Inigo and Gerome share a glance before Gerome answers. The atmosphere changing as Inigo looks away, preferring to stare down at the concrete floor beneath them. "I just have years of experience since I was a kid."

Felix nods, "If you don't wish to expand then I won't pry. I don't need to hear your story. All that matters is you have the strength and skills to live on."

"So, anyone wanna grab a bite?" Sylvain asks beckoning for the other three to follow him, "my treat."

•••••••••

"That sauna brought back so many memories. I quite enjoyed our time there." Lucina, Severa and Cynthia make their way along the village plaza near the monastery. The crowds are bustling away, most of them with a smile on their face as they proceed with their daily life. Lucina can't help but smile at the comforting sight before her. After so many years of death and suffering, the faces of the people in this world is a comfort.

"You mean like the time we went to the Hot-springs with our parents? Yeah, I guess it was okay." Severa smiles. Cynthia nods, "yup! It was really fun to go there, even if we did have to fight the Risen there. Hey, didn't Severa trip and fall during the fight into one of the baths?" Severa frowns, "oh my gods, Cynthia. You did not have to mention that!"

A mischievous grin forms on Cynthias face, "no need to get mad Ice Queen, heroes don't need to be ashamed of falling into a bath when ambushed. Relax!"

A gasp can be heard in their quarrel, turning to find Lucina heading inside a clothing shop full of odd designs. "Wait Luci, no! We're sorry for arguing! Please don't do anything rash!"

"Isn't this dress simply adorable!" Is all they heard as they were dragged into yet another one of the Ylissean princess's odd shopping sprees.

•••••••••

With the two priests having left the library, I take a deep breath. "Grima... Grima was the fell dragon who brought destruction upon us back home. He would raise the dead to create an army for himself, with no regard for their eternal slumber, nor the emotions he would arise with his actions."

I absentmindedly trace over my gloves designs, softly speaking out the information. Claude blinks, "the undead huh? That sounds terrible. Wasn't there some good dragon or god out there to stop him?"

"No gods, but there was the Divine Dragon Naga. Just as there is evil, there is good. Lady Naga was the one who helped us out greatly. But she didn't have the power necessary to kill Grima, she could only help us put him to sleep." I look up to face Claude, his expression is unreadable as his green eyes stare back at me. Does he believe me?

"So he's still out there?" He asks after a moment of silence. I shake my head "no he's dead. For good now. My mother defeated him with Chrom's help."

"Huh, can I ask how? You said no gods intervened, and you say the Divine Dragons power could only put him to sleep." A... fair question.

"Morgan, you're shaking. Sorry If I brought back bad memories, you don't have to tell me." I blink, looking down at my hand to see that he's right. I hadn't realized how much remembering my mother's death would take a toll on me. Even if it was only for two months.

"How do I explain... Crests. You guys have crests to prove your lineage, right?" He nods "Well in our country we have brands. The royal family has a brand called the Brand of the Exalt. It doesn't grant any powers or anything of that sort. It's just proof of your lineage." I bite my lip, "Lucina has the brand on her left eye." This seems to catch Claude's interest, "I never noticed. Well, I haven't really met your house leader properly."

I give a weak laugh, "I'll introduce you if you want." He smiles, "thanks. I'll take you up on that offer, anyway sorry for the interruption." He regains his composure and allows me to continue.

"Well, just as the Divine Dragon blessed the Exalts family with her power, the Fell Dragon did the same. Though it's more of a curse than a blessing."

"Understandable"

"I don't know much of the Fell Dragon's bloodline, but I do know the recent members of that family."

"Your mother... Wait, your mother is part of the Fell Dragon's bloodline? So then, you're..." I nod. "I'm part of the Fell bloodline. Grima can be killed by his own hand. My mother and Grima were one and the same. So when she landed the final blow, it was as if Grima had killed himself. In the end, my mother perished as well. Though she was only gone for 2 months." This seems to confuse Claude, "how is that possible?"

"You attach yourself to many people in your life. For my mother, if the bonds we forged with her were strong, she'd be able to survive. In the end, they were enough to bring her back." The room grows quiet as Claude tries to process what I've just said. "I can't guarantee it will work for anyone else though."

Claude smiles "your friends and yourself have been through a lot, haven't you?" He quietly says. He rests his chin on his hand, as he leans forward. "Since I dragged you into answering my questions, you can ask me some yourself."

Oh! Out of all the things I expected him to say, this is one I wasn't expecting. What should I ask? I stare long and hard at him before coming up with a question. "White hair" I blurt out. He laughs, "I suppose yeah, you do have white hair." I shake my head, "Sorry I mean, is white hair strange to have here?"

"Well, it's not uncommon for old folks to have white hair, but yeah, it is pretty uncommon. It's kind of odd actually. The only people I've seen with white hair is the imperial princess and Lysithea. You're the third one."

"Do you know why?"

"No, not really. Maybe it's just some sort of genetic mutation. Although Lysithea did seem a little concerned when she mentioned you." I tilt my head to the side, "she did? Huh."

"So, did you inherit your hair color from your parents?"

I nod, bringing my hand up to touch my hair. "Both my parents have white hair. It's also not that uncommon back home. At least... not in certain countries. Oh! Are there any strategy books here in the library?"