There was something to chew on. Corrine keeping her drugged just because she's lazy. That would line up perfectly with one of my running theories: death by accidental overdose. The other theory was much more malicious.

          One question about Este nagged at me. "Why are you helping her?"

         She quickly looked away. "There's a problem with my visa."

         "A problem? What problem?"

          "It's close to expiration. I've misplaced my passport and I'm not sure I'll be able to renew."

          "And Destiny can help with that?"

          "She promised me the best immigration lawyer money can buy."

          "For the necklace?"

          She shook her head. "At first she asked me to watch Ms. Diana and report back. She was trying to get in her good graces."

          "Why would she need to do that?"

          Her straightened hair was pulled back into a low bun that rest at the nape of her neck. She played with it as she considered answering me truthfully. "Years ago, they had a falling out. Destiny went and married this man Ms. Diana didn't approve of. They didn't speak again until the birth of the first grandchild, but it wasn't the same."

          Sounds like all the kids except Alexis were on the outs at one point or another with their mother. "How did Robert seem while Diana was dying?"

          She half-shrugged, half-sighed. "As you'd expect. Remorseful. Sad."

           "Did he come by very often?"

          "Couple times a week." Her eyes darted to the windows and back at me. "Sometimes if no one could answer the door he'd let himself in."

          "Let himself in?"

          "Robert's like family. He has a set of keys in case of emergency."

          Interesting. So Robert officially had opportunity to go along with his motive. "How was everyone when they found her that morning?"

          "The morning she died?"

          "Yeah?"

         "It was expected, but still...it was their mother."

          "How did Corrine seem?"

          "She was fine. Not much emotion but I wasn't in there that long. I had to clean the office."

          "What happened to the office?"

          "Woke up that morning and it was a wreck. Drawers open. Papers everywhere." She sucked her teeth in disgust; a deep frown settled across her brow. "Gabe probably got drunk again. Probably looking for liquor again. Ms. Diana was known to spike her coffee."

          Was someone looking for something? Did Robert use his key to break into the house to look for something in the office or was Este right and it was just Gabe on another bender?

          Este looked between me and the window again before nervously tapping her feet. "Is this all your questions? I must get back to work."

          "You know," I softened my voice until it was as sweet as honey. "I'm a private investigator. I could probably find your passport."

          She looked me over with an air of suspicion. "Why?"

          A twinge of guilt twisted at the black hole where my heart should be, but I ignored it. This was about business. "I would just need one small favor."