"Mom!! Can we discuss this later? It's been a long day and we'll see each other tomorrow anyway." I said, annoyed.

"I don't know what could have exhausted you this weekend. It's not like you're doing anything," she sarcastically responded.

"Of course, I have a lot of stuff to do," I retorque, slowly losing my temper. "My schedule is still packed until Monday! I want to sleep too. So. Bye. Love You." I hung up on her immediately, not allowing her to speak a word more.

Our relationship had not changed much even after years apart. Regardless of how much I loved my mother and how much I miss her; I'd be happier without her nagging. For lord's sake, I'm not a prepubescent teenager anymore. As a result, I had to cool down for a while before finally falling asleep.

On the very next day, I traveled to my family's home as planned. The house belonged to my maternal grandparents and had been passed down over many generations. At sunset, the scene was especially breathtaking, especially when viewed through the reflection of the water behind the house. There was also a garden in the front yard, where different plants and flowers were grown. As I grew up in the suburbs, I had a quiet peaceful childhood with nature all around me.

I hadn't been to this property for a long time. I last visited during college vacation. Back then, I had to deal with my twin 24/7 and I never felt at ease between my mother's antics and my sister's constant attention. As a result, I applied for the campus dormitory, but on one condition: I would spend all my vacations at home. After that, I started to distance myself from them and become more independent. My mother still checked on me sporadically after that.

Upon pressing the doorbell, a middle-aged woman let me in. Aside from a few wrinkles here and there, my mother did not change at all; either her fashion style or the aura she emanated: cold, yet loving at the same time. Taking me in her embrace, I reciprocated. Then I broke the tight embrace and shoved the present I had brought into her hand. Then we went to the living room to catch up on the last few years over tea. Then I told her that I found a new job and that I was well paid, so she doesn't have to worry about me.

"Now that you're settled in, don't you think it's time for you to start a family", she said suddenly.

"Mom, I barely begin at the gallery!" I exclaimed. "I need some stability before I even think of getting married".

"Son, soon you'll turn thirty. I suggest you date someone from a good family. We can talk about your marriage later." she said.

It was my mother's bad habit to put her hopes on my shoulders since my teenage years. She enrolled me in various clubs and even cram schools but was more lenient when it came to my twin. It's a pain being the eldest and only son of the family.

"Mom, please!" I growled in frustration.

"Xiao Zhan! I know it's too much for you, but can you please do me a favor?" she continued, ignoring my pleading eyes.

"Mom! I just finished my studies and would like to concentrate on my career first." I couldn't finish my sentence as my mother started crying.

"Don't you want your mother to be happy?" She sniffed. "Most of my friends already have grandchildren. I feel alone".

I grunted a desperate cry. My mother did not yield to my requests except for my choice to live at the boy's dormitory on campus. I loved my mother and all, but this woman was unbeatable at manipulation. The scholarship offer I took up six years ago made perfect sense now.

"You would not have brought up this topic without some plan beforehand." I frowned. She appealed with her eyes, still wearing her sad expression. 

I groaned in response. "But only once. If I can't see myself with them in the future, I'm out." 

"That's my son," she patted my shoulder.

Later, when I searched our old rooms, I discovered that my sister's pictures had been removed. Her belongings are nowhere to be found throughout the house.

"By the way Mom! What happened to Xiao Jin? Why don't I see photos of her after college?" I asked.

Mom's smile quickly wore off when I said that. She remained silent and went to the kitchen without replying.

'Mom?' I repeated. "How about Xiao Jin ?"

"I don't know!"

"How could you not know?"

"I just don't know," she snapped back. 

As I saw her look at that moment, I couldn't bring myself to ask more. I'll have to search for the truth somewhere else. Having no desire to debate again, the topic was dismissed.

So, this is how the third chapter turned out! How do you find it? Hope I'm not too boring. Does someone find Xiao Zhan's mother scary? Because I do 😖😰

I'll be using some of the Sims videos to represent the location in my story. Why do you ask?? Cuz I played Sims since my teenage years and to give a shout to the person who made this amazing apartment. Thanks to this platform, I can combine my hobbies in one 🥰🤗😝 

Thank you for reading. Don't forget to vote/comment.

LG from @DaIn033