Homebound

"Guilty," Kuvira repeated to herself, hearing the word bounce around in the empty room before it went back to her. The word felt strange on her tongue but it also lifted so much weight off of her shoulders. She could actually sigh in relief with how light she now felt. She lifted her head to look through the small window across the room. It was barely big enough for her to slip through but Kuvira knew it was of an intentional design. If someone was foolish enough to try to escape, then the cops stationed below would quickly collect the criminal. She watched as a few spirits flew by, wishing she was as free as them.

Her thoughts turned to what was happening outside of her temporary room. She could hear the others chat amongst themselves as they waited for President Moon and Su to finish the paperwork that would transfer Kuvira to Su's custody for house arrest. She closed her eyes and rested her head against the cool stone wall. She could only hope that the paperwork would be completed quickly. The sooner she was away from Republic City, the better.

Korra hated the bureaucracy of politics. They all knew where Kuvira was going, so why do they have to fill out so much paperwork to make it official? And why did she have to sign as well? It's not her fault she became the Avatar. Korra scratched her signature into another sheet of paper, not bothering to read it. If there was something in it that was fishy, President Moon, Lin, and especially Su would have caught it.

As she continued to write her name down again and again, Korra let her mind wander back to the sentencing. There was something strange that occurred during it that Korra couldn't let go of. When Kuvira was told that she was going to be put under house arrest with Su, Korra felt relieved. She was truly, after all that Kuvira had done, Korra had secretly hoped she would get a lighter sentence. But it was more than just being relieved, which was what confused Korra. It was like her relief was echoed back by something.

Her eyes glanced down at the contract in her hands and her eyes caught sight of Asami's company's name. "What?" She read closer and she felt confusion rise up. "Avatar Korra and her colleagues, along with the Republic City's Chief of Police Lin Beifong, will take one of Future Industries' air ships to complete the transfer of Kuvira from Republic City to Zaofu," she read aloud.

President Moon nodded. "Yes. We believed that it would be wise to have a third party handle Kuvira's actual transfer." The glance she gave Su made it clear that they have had a bit of an argument with that decision. Korra was glad she wasn't a part of it.

"Not Mako, however," Lin put in with a slight grumble. "He will stay behind to ensure the city doesn't fall to shit while we are gone." It was extremely clear that she did not want to go on the transport mission.

"Okay," Korra said to herself. She wondered if any of the women had bothered to ask Asami what she thought. With a glance at President Moon, Korra decided that she was being ridiculous. She was still used to the former President Raiko giving orders as if he owned everyone. She signed another piece of paper and breathed a sigh of relief when she was not given another one. "When are we leaving?" Korra asked.

Three sets of eyes looked shocked at her, well Lin was shocked as well as annoyed. "Tomorrow," Lin answered gruffly. "Haven't you been reading the papers we gave you?"

Korra answered with a shrug. "I trust you three with all the details." She set down the pen she was holding and flexed her fingers. "Is there anything else I need to do here?" When nobody answered, Korra stood up. "I'll help Asami get the airship ready for tomorrow." She left the three women and exited the room. Her eyes found themselves going straight past her group of friends and the Beifongs to another door on the far wall. Kuvira was in the room waiting to be picked up and delivered to Zaofu. Korra frowned when she felt something, like a light breeze against the back of her head. She began to wonder where it came from, especially because they were in a windowless hallway, but her train of thought was interrupted by the sight of her girlfriend.