"How do you know Zoey works here?" Max asked.

"She's always wherever you are," Simon replied, as if this was the most obvious thing in the work. Max decided to change the topic.

"Aren't you married now?" Max reminded him.

"Yeah but still who wants to work with their ex right?" Simon replied. "Or their ex's new boyfriend for that matter."

The elevator stopped and Simon turned to leave but didn't. "Is she happy?" Simon asked, his back to Max as he froze leaving the elevator.

"Yeah," Max said. "I'm sure she is."

"I'm glad," Simon said, still facing away. Then he began walking and soon the elevator door closed, blocking Simon was Max's view as it continued going down to the main level.

Max wasn't totally sure what to make of that conversation. He was also very sure he didn't want to worry Zoey with it this week, unless of course she spotted him before then. Either way Max had lunch to pick up before going back to work.

Shaking his head in the hopes of clearing it, Max got out of the elevator once it stopped and headed to the soup and sandwich place around the corner.

He got back into the elevator about twenty minutes later carrying lunch and was once again up on their floor soon after that.

"Wonderful," Zoey said as she saw him. "I'm starving." She took the food from him and started eating. Max followed suit, trying not to think about his strange elevator experience.

"What's up with you?" Zoey asked as they were finishing their sandwiches.

"Nothing," Max replied too quickly. The moment he spoke he knew he was doomed. Somehow again he'd forgotten how good she was at seeing through him.

"Out with it," Zoey said, putting her hands on her hips and staring him down.

"I ran into someone in the elevator," Max admitted.

"Who?" Zoey asked.

"Simon."

"Oh," Zoey replied slowly. "That must have been strange for you."

"I was," Max answered, relieved.

"What did he have to say?" she asked.

"He had an interview, I think," Max continued. "Though he doesn't seem to want the job, plus he said he's glad you're happy."

"How does he know I'm happy?" Zoey snorted. "I mean I haven't spoken to the guy since he dumped me what... four years... no more like six. Damn time flies."

"He may have asked if you were happy and I may have told him yes," Max mumbled.

"That's fine I guess," Zoey shrugged. "I mean it wasn't like you were lying. Still strange to just see him like that randomly."

"Right!" Max agreed. "And this week of all times."

"Why this week?" Zoey asked.

"I mean cause of the promotion thing," Max backtracked as fast as he could. "What if they were interviewing him to be our new boss."

"Oh that would suck!" Zoey groaned. "Gods I hope that isn't it."

"Me too," Max agreed.

The conversation thankfully made its way back to work after that and Max was able to relax.

After work they went home for a quiet night in. Zoey picked a movie and they settled in on the couch. Movie nights as a couple were so much better than when they'd sat so far apart on the sofa. Max loved curling up under a blanket with her wrapped up in his arms. It was the same at night when he slept. After almost two years waking up beside her, Max wasn't sure if he'd ever sleep the same without her.