Chapter 9: A Prince And A Witch

Prince Rhydian walked through corridors impatiently. For some reason the queen hasn’t welcomed him outside, and he wondered what could be the reason of this coldness. As far as he knew there were no incidents between her and his people. There was also one other reason for his irritation. Little that anyone knew, both the queen and the prince knew each other, though at the time they met, neither was aware of the other’s identity.

When she has been announced a ruler, his father had her investigated. This was how Rhydian found out, that the charming little witch he met was now his potential bride. And to tell the truth, he was happy about it.

All the way to the queen’s palace he wondered if she remembered him.

They met when he was drifting in the river, holding to some piece of wood. He jumped into the water to save his life from assassins that were sent to kill him and his brother. His older sibling managed to escape with one of the knights, leaving him at the killers’ mercy. Just as he was getting close to the waterfall, she saw him and flew to help. They travelled together then, for some time, until he found what he was looking for, and could go back to his father with his task completed.

He wanted to take her with him, but in the end he didn’t tell her who he really was, knowing a simple merchant’s daughter would not have any respect at his father’s court. Whatever he felt for her would have to be forgotten. Now fate was giving him another chance, and he intended to use it fully.

Queen’s advisor appeared before him, bowing with respect.

“Your highness.” He said. Rhydian wanted to grab him and ask where the queen was, but instead he greeted the man politely. He knew he couldn’t afford to make a bad impression. He needed all the luck he could get.

“When can I see Her Highness?” He asked.

“The Queen has some urgent matters to attend to.” Said the advisor. “It pains her to leave at the time like this, but it is necessary.” Continued Marcus, showing the prince to his chambers.

After locking the king’s son safely in his rooms, Marcus dealt with his entourage, and instructed all the servants about the official story they should tell, if anyone asked. He wasn’t a fool, he knew most of the secrets are leaked by the staff, not by royals.

After completing the tasks he just waited. Algernon was supposed to return the next day. He sincerely hoped his friend had some answers.

Sir Rowanweb came back in the evening, next day. The advisor literally dragged him into his office, right after he jumped off the horse, not giving the poor knight any time to rest.

“What did they say?” He demanded.

“She is in another world.” Said the knight, sitting in the armchair with relieved sight. Advisor’s eyebrows went up. “She got there through a portal, but they don’t know what caused it. They are working at getting her back.”

Marcus sat down, holding his head. This was a disaster. Another kingdom he could withstand, but another world was going to give him a stroke.

“Another world?” He asked faintly. “Portal? How, for the love of gods, are they going to bring her back?”

“I suggested to send someone after her.” Said the knight, opening the bottle of wine, that was lying on the desk.

“Good! You will go!” decided the advisor instantly.

“Marcus, there are limits…” Started the captain, almost choking on his wine, but was interrupted.

“I cannot go. Someone has to rule the kingdom and keep the prince in the dark.” He explained. “And when it comes to tracking and hunting, you have no equals.” He added a compliment to make his friend more agreeable.