twenty-eight. rooster

JJ and Skye had shared a bed that night, being the only ones in the home. John B had been doing work for someone, and he didn't return until well after midnight.

When he returned, the home smelled of weed.

Despite not having smoked in months, JJ had rolled a blunt and lit it. He didn't offer it to Skye, as he knew she didn't smoke. But something about the way it hung from his lips made the girl outstretch her hand, requesting to hit it. He passed it to her, the pair smoking the entire blunt.

Skye was high as a kite, and had never felt more relaxed. Her and JJ joked back and forth, the girl continuously laughing.

"Why did you pull your hand away yesterday?" Skye questioned, her eyes staring at her hands in her lap. She was currently in a mood where she was not going to hold back.

"What?" JJ questioned, pretending he didn't know what she was speaking of.

Skye didn't look up at him. "When Kie came out to the Pogue, you took your hand out of mine. Do you not want your friends to know?"

JJ sighed. "That's not what it is."

"That's what it seems like," Skye retuned. She shrugged, her eyes downcast. "I don't care. I just want to know."

"I thought you didn't want them to know," JJ confessed. "You're Amber Byrne. I know that you care about me, Skye. I know you do. But I feel like I'm not good enough for you. And once they know, it's out there. What if you decide I'm not enough?"

Skye shook her head, a small laugh escaping her mouth. "Why wouldn't you be good enough?"

"I'm not like the people you've been with before. I don't understand the lifestyle you've lived," he explained. "I'm not the kind of guy a girl like you ends up with."

"You know how dumb that sounds, right?" she remarked, glancing up at him. "Can you just shut up and kiss me, please?"

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

There was a new development in the treasure hunt that was going on that Skye wasn't fully looped into. Despite this, John B had elected to dump his dad's office in search for clues about the mysterious disappearance JJ had told her of.

As the group of five were perusing in the locked room, a truck pulled up. Upon seeing the men exit, Skye's stomach dropped; they didn't look good guys. "Uh, John B? Do you know them?"

"Fuck," John B muttered. JJ looked up, spotting the men. He then began scanning the room. "JJ, the gun. Where's the gun?"

"It's in my bag...on the porch."

"Go get it!" Kie fired, spotting the men walking towards the home. The front door then slammed shut, JJ turning and retreating from the door.

John B slammed the door shut, locking it. "What do we do?" Pope questioned, glancing around the room.

"Window!" Skye called quietly, rushing over to it. She began to try to pry it open, but it wouldn't budge; it was painted over.

JJ rushed to her side, attempting to try to help her. "Here, move," he stated, using a knife to try to pry it open.

Skye glanced around the room in an attempt to find how she could help. Adrenaline was pumping through her veins, not feeling the fear yet. The men were yelling and she could hear the home being ransacked.

JJ let out a noise of triumph as the window gave, him grabbing her wrist and pushing her towards it after Kiara climbed out. She followed Kiara, the girls running to the chicken coop.

Kie climbed in, not stopping as she ran and ducked in. Skye followed suit, catching her breath as she sat. The boys followed behind, JJ ducking in next to Skye and Pope and John B joining.

Skye was slightly panting, the stress finally hitting her. JJ noticed her leg bouncing, the boy placing his hand on top of it. She stopped, her grabbing his hand in an attempt to ease herself. He squeezed it reassuringly.

The rooster then cawed obnoxiously, and then again. Kie sobbed next to Skye, Skye grabbing her hand in an attempt to comfort her. "Can someone shut it up?"

"How?" John B questioned, stress in his voice.

"Pet it or talk to it or something!" Kie returned. Tears flowed from her eyes.

The idea of death never really scared Skye, as sometimes she would've preferred it to being alive. But now, she had people she cared about. She was more worried about the friends she had made and their safety.

The rooster then crowed again, JJ launching into action. He pulled away from Skye. He grabbed it by its neck, squeezing tightly. A sickening crunch was let out, Kie letting out another sob. She covered her mouth in an attempt to stay quiet, as the front door of the Chateau slammed. The men exited the home, speaking to each other.

One of the men paused and stared at the coop, his friend encouraging him to continue. The loaded into the truck, the vehicle then departing down the gravel street.

Skye emerged from the coop first. She brushed past everyone else, breathing in the air outside. It suddenly felt too hot and sticky. Everyone followed in close succession. One hand went to both sides of Skye's head, her pushing her hair back with flat palms. She took a deep breath, JJ watching her closely.

"Are you okay?" he questioned, taking a step towards her.

She inhaled, taking a step back. She clenched her eyes for a moment, before opening them back up. "I can't do this right now. I'm late for work."

Kie turned to Skye. "It's alright, Skye." Tears stained her cheeks, her concern for the girl suddenly growing.

Skye Arturo always looked like she was on the edge of a mental break, and it was a guessing game as to what was going to be the final straw.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───