twenty-seven. confession

Everyone was gathered in the living room, working on small things before they set out for the day. It was a rare occasion; John B had slept in.

So Skye didn't see any other opportunity she'd have to tell them all the truth and have the entire group turn on her at once and hate her. She figured she would seize the moment.

"Hey, guys?" Skye called, sitting down on the couch. "Can I talk to you?"

JJ glanced up, looking over at her. She gave a nod, confirming she was going to tell them all. She was going to tell the group some of the truth.

John B looked over at the girl he had come to known as a best friend. His eyebrows came together, joining the group. Kie took a seat in the couch opposite, Pope joining her. John B leaned against he arm.

JJ took a seat next to Skye.

"What's up?" John B asked, adjusting his bandana he dawned around his neck.

"So, um..." Skye trailed. JJ reached over and gently squeezed her thigh. "I figured I owed you guys a little more about my past and my background."

Kiara looked at the girl, slight confusion on her face; Skye didn't really seem like the type to just give out information. It usually had to be extracted and you had to dig.

"So I left home," Skye began, which was what everyone in the group was aware of. "I left because my dad was kind of rough around the edges."

"You don't have to do this now, Skye," John B explained. He could see Skye's visible discomfort. He felt sympathy for the pain it seemed to cause the girl he viewed as a sister nearly.

Skye nodded. "After all you guys have done, this is something I owe you." No one said anything so Skye continued. "Look, it just can't leave this house, okay?"

Pope began by giving a small salute. "Pogue's honor." The rest of the group followed in suit.

"So, I lived in Blue Point, New York," Skye began to explain. "A tiny beach town. It was similar to here, expect the entire thing was the Eight. My family was filthy rich."

"No. Way." Pope's words fell out of his mouth. He looked at the girl, a small smile on his face. The pieces came together in his mind; the missing girl from that town, the identical eyes, the mysterious background Skye never shared. "Byrne."

"Byrne?"

"I, uh...yeah." Skye paused, trying to pick her words to be the least dramatic as possible. "My last name was Byrne."

"Your family owns Sea Liner," John B concluded. He had a slight slack in his jaw. It was a household last name, especially in towns that revolved around beaches and boating. "One is the biggest boat brands on the east coast." He was in something of shock.

"Yeah," Skye replied. "At home, I was Amber Byrne."

"They're looking for you everywhere," Pope stated. He had seen the news, heard the radio programs. There was talk of Zane's desperate search for his beloved daughter. How much he cared for her.

"I figured something out before Pope," JJ stated proudly, leaning back in his seat.

"You already knew?" Kiara asked.

"I knew for about a month," JJ replied.

Kiara and Skye turned to him and said simultaneously, "You did?" It was a surprise to Skye, too. She had thought the boy had only learned of her identity recently.

JJ looked over at Skye and shrugged. "I know my socialites. Besides, she's a fucking heiress."

Skye looked over at Kie, "He only asked me a few days ago." She then looked at John B. "I plan on leaving soon." Her tone was sad.

"What? Why?" John B asked.

Skye shook her head. "I can't put you out any longer. Besides, if my father comes here-"

JJ took his hand off of her leg. "You think I'm going to let you leave so your father can drag your ass back? No way. No way in hell." He looked over at Skye, who glanced back at him.

John B shook his head. "Yeah, you're staying here, Skye." John B was firm on this.

"Aren't you all pissed at me?" Skye asked, looking between the group of three. She excluded JJ, they had already discussed the other morning.

Kie shrugged, glancing up. "No. I think I'm upset that you told JJ and not me." A small smile came to Kie's face.

Skye smiled back at her. "You guys gotta let JJ have this one."

"I never get any credit," Pope muttered.

Kiara shoved his shoulder lightly.

"But seriously, now that we're all here, I really do think I need to leave," Skye explained. "I can't stay here and put you all in danger-"

"Skye-"

"No, JJ, I care way too much about all of you," Skye stated.

"He won't find you here," John B explained. "How could he?"

"Besides, are you going to run for the rest of your life?" Kie questioned. "You're just gonna drop in somewhere for a few months and then keep looking over your shoulder?"

"I just can't let anything happen to you guys."

"And we can't let anything happen to you, Skye," John B stated in reply. "Besides, you're a Pogue now. And Pogues for life."

"Pogues for life," JJ repeated. Looking over at Skye.

Skye nodded, looking around at the group. She took a shaky breath. "Pogues for life."

JJ reached over, resting an arm over her shoulder. "Even if you are a dirty Kook at heart," JJ explained, kiddingly. "Like Kiara."

Kiara shot him a glare. He smiled over at her, poking fun at the two girls.

Despite his lighthearted response to the situation, he could feel Skye was holding something back. In her cryptic tone about danger, she wasn't telling the whole truth. She knew more than she was letting on.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───