33. a change of mind

Start from the beginning

Ms. Cha placed the newspaper down and looked back at Stage Me. 

Then she started talking again.

"I heard from one of the maids that you came back home after dinner. Where did you go if I may ask?"

Stage Me then remembered what happened the night before and the stage that I changed showed up in snippets of memories one by one. Stage Me wanted to talk about the little boy and the polaroid picture of a girl who had the same face as her. But something was stopping her when she stared at the eyes of her cousin's mother.

"For the first time... I see that she is hiding something..." Stage Me thought as I wondered what it was that Ms. Cha would be hiding from me.

Then Stage Me answered, "I was hanging out with Kyung. We bumped into each other at a playground and decided to spend some time together like before."

Ms. Cha took another sip from her cup of coffee before asking, "Kyung? Baek Kyung? You mean, Mr. Baek's eldest son?"

Stage Me nodded her head gently and a second later the head chef of the kitchen staff passed by and placed her breakfast in front of her on the dining table.

"I heard that Mr. Baek's eldest son is engaged," Ms. Chan continued on as  Stage Me was about to pick up the fork and spoon in front of her. "Why hang around with a taken man, my niece?"

Suddenly the vibe inside the Dining Hall changed and when Stage Me looked up to face the woman sitting across from her, I saw the look on Ms. Cha's face.

She looked disgusted as if she had remembered something. But what?

"Mother, as you should know, Kyung and Ara have been friends way before I knew him," Namju spoke up as he entered the room. "Their mothers both knew each other as well."

Ms. Cha was surprised to see her son but she still continued, "Namju, of course, I know that, but Baek Kyung has a fiancee what if-"

THUD!

"What if?" Namju asked in disbelief after shutting his Mother off by pulling his chair and making it fall back onto the ground. "Please, Ara is different from those kinds of girls!"

Then Stage Me was pulled up to her feet by her cousin and out of the Dining Hall.

"I've texted Dohwa to come and pick you up," Namju whispered before shutting the doors in between them.

The stage ended after that but I can still hear the mother and son yelling at each other neck-to-neck. I sighed and heard Butler Lim calling for me from the Main Hall. I grabbed the backpack that I left outside the Dining Hall and walked to where Butler Lim is at. I see him talking to Dohwa who was standing by the front door. I greeted the two with a smile and I said a quick 'goodbye' to Butler Lim before heading out with my best friend who had a worried look on his face.

He must have heard the stage.

"Are you okay?" Dohwa asked as we both got inside his family's car.

I looked at him and faked a smile. "Why wouldn't I be?"