Seven

Damien reclined against the sarcophagus as if he was on the beach under the warm sun, rather than leaning against the cold stone. Music was playing softly from the small gramophone in his tent. The tunes drifting out of the frame and round the room. He, out of personal amusement, had chosen the record Three o'clock in the morning by Paul Whiteman. It was actually four in the morning which was what amused Damien so much. His sense of humour was really stupid sometimes.

In the coffin behind him, Ahkmanrah was quiet. Damien guessed that he was listening to the music. He had already told the pharaoh about the new night guard. It had been amusing hearing the chaos as it echoed around the museum. Distant screaming and loud noises as the new night guard was terrorised. Damien laughed about it but chose to remain in the Egyptian exhibit where the jackal guards could keep him safe.

The sounds of voices and footsteps made Damien look up. He jolted, slipping on the polished marble as he scrambled back towards his photo. He fell through the frame just as the footsteps rounded the corner. The music cut off with an abruptness that cause Ahkmanrah to start screaming again. The sarcophagus lid rattling loudly as he pounded on it. Damien peered through the frame, doing his best to look like he had been in there all evening.

"Keep shouting as much as you want Pharaoh", Teddy's voice echoed up the room. "You're not getting out tonight". He strolled into sight followed by a man in a navy uniform. Damien scowled, his positive view of Teddy Roosevelt diminishing significantly.

"It's wrong to keep him locked up!" He stated loudly, crossing his arms. The new night guard jumped and turned sharply. Damien glared at him. He was short, a inch or so shorter than Damien, with dark hair. He seemed to be in his middle age, thirties maybe?

Teddy smiled widely and clapped the night guard on the shoulder. "Larry. This is Damien Jean".

"Pleasure", Damien ground out, still not amused by Teddy's comment.

Larry waved nervously. "Um hi. Nice to meet you".

"You should let him out", Damien snapped, ignoring Larry. "How would you like to be trapped in a coffin for three years? It's not right". A particularly loud bang came from the sarcophagus as if to prove his point. Larry jolted again. The new night guard seemed rather jumpy.

"Come out Damien", Teddy waved. "I'm not going to shout at you through a photo". He turned to Larry. "Damien Jean here was the archeologist who found Ahkmanrah. If you have any questions, be sure to ask him".

Damien gritted his teeth but stepped out of the frame and back into the museum. "Even the pictures move", Larry muttered. "What are they like little rooms or something?" Damien ignored him and strolled over to the coffin. His boots clicking on the marble as he crouched down.

"Hey", he soothed. "It's okay. Just the new night guard and Teddy here to check us out". The screaming stopped and two knocks emanated from inside.

"He can understand us?" Larry stated in surprise. Damien glared at him. From the sarcophagus a gap echoed as Ahkmanrah knocked once against his lid. Larry's eyes widened at the noise as Teddy huffed.

"Yes he can understand us!" He snarled. "Ahkmanrah was discovered in 1930 on a exhibition to the Nile. He was placed on display in Cambridge university in 1932. In 1956 he was transported here along with his tablet". He pointed to the glowing gold tablet hanging behind the sarcophagus, voice raising. "Since then the museum has come to life every night. I don't know why or how. If you released him then maybe I could find out".

Damien turned to Teddy viciously, anger at the comment still burning. "At lest Sacajawea has a whole wall and you can see her through the glass", he hissed. "And you think it's okay to keep Ahkmanrah trapped". A stunned silence followed his words. Damien took a deep breath and closed his eyes. It would not be good for him to loose his temper. In front of him, Teddy and Larry had the decency to look ashamed.

"Wait, wait", Larry held out his hands. "At night everything in this museum comes to life? And I'm supposed to do what?"

"You're the night watchman Lawrence", Teddy answered. His usual cheerfully voice returning now that he wasn't looking at Damien or the sarcophagus. "A valuable position in this institution. Your job is to make sure that none of us leave. Cause if we're out side when the sun rises we turn to dust". Damien shivered at the thought of dying again. He wasn't sure is he wanted to experience that for a second time.

Teddy looked to him. "It's almost dawn, we must be going", he stated, voice dropping and sounding almost apologetic.

Damien gritted his teeth. "Very well. But this is not over, I will release my pharaoh one night Larry. See you tomorrow night". Larry nodded nervously as Teddy began strolling quickly away. The night guard gave Damien a small wave before scuttling after Teddy.

As soon as they disappeared out of sight Damien sighed deeply. He sank down to sit on the stone covering the sarcastic lid, suddenly exhausted and angry. "You're not violent", he muttered to the coffin. "All historical recounts portrayed you a a fair and just ruler. I don't understand why they are so afraid of you? I suppose that superstition is still the same no matter what era it is". Damien gently brushed his hand over the golden lid. There was a soft noise inside of Ahkmanrah doing the same, his bandages scraping against the wood.

"Sorry", Damien whispered. "I will get you out eventually. Just hang on? Stick around? Stay put?" He burst out laughing as a few annoyed thumps sounded. Ahkmanrah kicking the wood.

"I know, I know", Damien breathed through his chuckles. "My jokes are frightful. I apologise but you're stuck with me". He began giggling again at the stupidness of his puns. A muffled groan came from the sarcophagus and Damien felt his chest warm at the noise. After a little bit more minutes of giggling, he heaved himself onto his feet.

"I'll see you next evening", he promised the coffin. Tapping once on the wood. And answering tap came from within and Damien smiled.

Unedited