Twenty eight

"My night has mostly involved me being chased by various exhibits who are working with your brother to take over the world", Larry grumbled as he walked closer. "I should add nineteen twenties gangsters as well as Napoleon and some Russian dude to the list of people to stay away from. They have joined forces with your brother, who is a horrible person I might add". 

"Ah yes", Ahk nodded as his face fell into seriousness. "I am afraid that he has been like that since birth and my best attempts to cure it ended up with my murder. I apologise". Next to him, Damien hid a snigger at the sarcasm in the pharaohs tone. 

"Excuse me Mr Daley but who are these friends of yours? Mind introducing us?" The redhead interrupted. She had an old American accent that Damien hadn't heard since he was alive. Suddenly it clicked on why she was so familiar. Suddenly the woollen flight jacket she was wearing complete with tight pants and high boots made sense. 

"Amelia Earhart!" He exclaimed with a wide grin. He stepped forwards to extend his hand. "The first woman to fly solo over the Atlantic. Amazing. Glad to make your acquaintance. My name is Dr Damien Jean, archeologist and researcher-"

"Of ancient Egypt", Amelia finished for him as she took his hand and shook it vigourously. "You discovered that Pharaoh's tomb back in the year thirty. I remembered reading about that in the papers. I always wanted to go and see the exhibition but I never found the time. It's wonderful to meet you". 

"And I you", Damien beamed as their hands separated. "You were truly an inspiration to so many people. Brilliant work. You really must tell me all about your travels sometime". 

"Oh if only you tell me about your excavations Dr Jean", she grinned back. Her eyes widened as she glanced at Ahkmenrah. "And who is your handsome friend with no shoes?" 

Ahk was watching her with a patient expression. "I am Ahkmenrah, fourth king of the fourth kings. I have heard tales of your exploits as well, you seem like a fine warrior". Amelia blinked in confusion at the greeting but smiled anyway and held out a hand. Ahk looked down at it then gently took it and gave it a small shake. Damien grinned, he had spent ages teaching Ahk modern greetings and it was nice to see those lessons paying off.

 Amelia nodded and turned her attention back to Damien. "You're a mighty fine looker yourself. I never expected you to be so young Dr Jean. You simply must tell me the story of discovering your Pharaoh". Damien nodded. At his side, he noted a Ahk relax slightly at being referred to as Damien's. 

Larry interrupted however. The man had been looking around at the moving paintings. "This is new", he commented. "Photographs was one thing. But paint moving is definitely new". 

"Yes. I find it rather strange and fantastical", Damien added. 

"But you're from a photo", Larry gave him a look. 

"That is true. But I was once human, a moment frozen in time. Paint is interpretations of humans, which is vastly different". He turned to look around and paused. Three Egyptian soldiers with their spears raised were approaching from the corridor to the right. When he turned to the left, he spotted three more.  

"Oh dear", Amelia muttered as the soldiers drew closer and the group all took a step back. Damien backed into Ahk as the four of them were backed into a corner. Larry grabbing her by the arm and pulling Amelia closer as the sharp spears grew near. Three soldiers each coming to encircle both pairs, spears separating Ahk and the tablet. 

One of the soldiers shouted something and Ahk visibly bristled. "I command you to stop", he ordered loudly in English before switching languages and repeating it. The three soldiers advancing on him and Damien hesitated. They paused but the other three advancing on Larry and Amelia pressed on.