The Unexpected

Chapter 3 - The Unexpected

Hugh walked over to where we were seated.

"Kate, babe, what are you doing here, with these two ?" he said, emphasizing on us.

I rolled my eyes and looked at Daniel who was looking at me at the same time.

Kate closed her eyes and took in a deep breath and let it out.

"Okay, no more pretending. And I don't care what my mom says. I don't care what the results are, I need my friends; I need Violet and Daniel. They're my best friends and I'm not going to let my crazy mother ruin what I have with them or anyone else, anymore." Okay, wow, she actually said that in front of Hugh.

"What do you mean, no more pretending?" he asked, obviously confused. Does anything ever pass through his thick head?

"Hugh, listen, I've been acting like a bitch since sophomore year and now it's senior year and I cant take it anymore! I'm not a bitch, I'm a nice person. I like flowers and strawberries and the nature. I'm not stupid and I never fail my exams and I always pass, but I never tell anyone except Vi and Dan."

As realization struck Hugh, his eyes were wide enough to look like a submarine. Okay yeah, exaggeration, I know.

Hugh skipped a grade because he was home-schooled for a year and repeated ninth grade. He's a year older than my sister, yet he's so dumb. He's a dumb blonde. Ha!

I realized I had a goofy grin on my face when everyone started looking at me. I just shrugged.

"Yeah, whatever then. So, I'm gonna go. I came in to see what you guys were doing. Guess you were having fun, so, continue." he said, with a genuine smile.

Kate was about to say something to Hugh when he opened his mouth to speak, "And dont worry, I won't tell anyone unless you want me to." he said, flashing another innocent smile.

By the look on Kate's face I could tell that she was relieved. I smiled and so did Daniel. Wow, we like had some kind of telepathic connection. God, I don't even know what I'm saying. 

"Umm..Violet?" Hugh called.

"Uhh yeah..?"

"How's your sister? Scarlet right?"

"She's good...? And yeah, her name's Scarlet." How'd he know Scar?

"Umm..Hugh? How'd ya know Scar?"

"Scar?" Didn't I tell you he had a thick head?

"I meant Scarlet. Anyway, how do you know her?"

"Oh, my cousin Nelson is friends with her and Ron told me that you had a sister and then Nelson told me that Scarlet's your sister." 

"Oh." was all I could get out. I mean what else was I supposed to say?

"Anymore questions sugar cakes?" he asked, with his signature smirk plastered on his face. Like...like...like PLASTER OF PARIS! Ooookaaaaayyy. Where'd that come from?

"Ugh. Whatever Hugh." He's so obnoxious!

"Tell your sister I said hey."

"Okay, I will. Wait does she know you?"

He hesitated before answering, "Uhh yeah, she does, we're friends. Just got cut off for some time. Issues ya know.."

"Right and no, I don't  know your  'issues.' Unless you're talking about your being retarded, then I know about them." I said, laughing.

He gave me a look and walked off.

Well, my sister was in college, so I had no idea who her friends were or why they're even friends with her. I'll have to ask her about her 'friendship' with Hugh when she comes home for her vacation.

She'll be here after senior prom. 4 1/2 months for her to come and 4 months for senior prom. Oh god, when will I get a date?