They see me rollin'..they hatin'..

Chapter 10 - They see me rollin'..they hatin'..

The moment I realized that I was in the car, driving, with someone other than my family or friends, I freaked out.

My grip on the steering wheel tightened and I was tried really hard to concentrate on the road ahead of me. Though I was driving slowly, it seemed like we were driving at 200 miles an hour, but I pretty sure that it was just my erratic heartbeat making me feel that way.

"Are you okay?" Ace asked. That was the second time he had asked me that question in one day.

"I'm fine."

"Whatever you say." he replied nonchalantly.The silence consumed us once again and I forced myself to think of anything but the current situation.

Just when I thought the situation couldn't get any worse, I looked at myself in the rear-view mirror.I looked like a drenched cat. My mascara was running down my face and I looked like The Joker.

I wonder wha-"Do you mind if I play some music?" Ace asked, making himself known. I had completely forgotten he was in the car with me! This made me lose control of the car and hydroplane a little.

His face showed a mixture of shock and incredulity.

"Did you forget that I was in the car with you or something?!" he half yelled.

"No." I replied quietly, trying my best to hide my embarassment.

"Right, and I have eleven fingers." he replied sarcastically. I looked at him with surprise. That was probably the longest sentence he had spoken to me in the entire day if you ignored the time he asked me and Kate to shut up. Like me, he too seemed surprised by his comment. He quickly turned in his seat and looked straight ahead. Once again we were surrounded by silence, the kind neither of us wanted to break in order to save each other from further embarassment.

It took us five more minutes to reach the neighborhood we lived in. The only conversation we had after that was when Ace told me where I could drop him off and to thank me for the ride. I couldn't figure out if he was shy or awkward or just completely unsocial.

Usually I could tell when I would be good friends with somebody, but Ace just didn't seem like the type. Maybe I should stop with all this judgement. I think I needed to pour a bucket of ice cold water on myself to wake up from the nightmare called 'today'.

My house was about six blocks away from Ace's. I was parking in my driveway when I saw Daniel waving goodbye to Charlotte from his doorstep. Just looking at those two put me in a bad mood.

I got out of my car and banged the door shut, loud enough so that Daniel could hear it. The moment I did, he turned to look at me. Charlotte turned too.

"Hey Violet! Did you just get back from school? Danny and I just got back from this cute little diner called 'Rosie's'. Have you been there?" Charlotte said, beaming excitedly.

"No. I have never heard of it. Was it nice?" I asked her with a slightly patronising tone. My tone was directed at Daniel and I tried my best not to completely glare at him. How could he take her to OUR  favorite spot? Rosie's diner was our thing and now he completely ruined it by taking her. We were so particular about it being our private spot, that we never even took Kate there with us. Now he was taking this woman he barely knew? If Kate thought that I was acting weird, she needed to open her eyes and take a good look at Mr.Warner here.

"It was the cutest thing ever! You should totally go! Maybe Danny can take you there sometime too." she smiled pleasantly.

"Yeah, maybe." I replied with a fake smile, sending a fleeting look of annoyance towards Daniel.