Complete

Oak looked over in nervous anticipation as his mother introduced his other little sister. Sapphire. He'd always wondered what her name had been and now he knew. It fit her perfectly. Oak gazed at his little sister, one he'd always hoped to know. Now he could be the big brother he had always wanted to be.

Firefly had never really needed him all that much. Sure, there were a few times when she'd asked for his help, but he could count that on one talon. Sapphire, though, would be his chance to be a big brother. He would protect her. Oak remembered that night; his mother's cries and his father's hidden anguish. Oak had protected Firefly then, but he couldn't protect Sapphire.

Now that she was here, Oak could make up for all those years without her. Three whole years. Oak had been three at the time, Firefly only one. Sapphire hadn't even been a week. Hearing his name being called jostled Oak out of his thoughts. Shaking his head slightly, he looked towards his mother who had a look of mild concern. He nodded in reassurance.

"Okay. Now, Sapphire, this is your older brother, Oak." Oak gave a soft smile. Sapphire looked up at him, curiosity shining in her light blue eyes. Stepping forward slightly, Oak lowered his neck a bit, going down to the dragonet's level. "Hi."

In one word, Sapphire took a step closer. She inched her way towards him. Oak took this is a good sign and slowly opened one wing out to her. Her eyes widened and she glanced back at their parents before looking at him. A slight nod from Oak, and within seconds, Sapphire was in her brother's embrace.

A new feeling entered Oak, filling him to the brim with sheer happiness. His little sister. The one who had been missing for three years was in his arms. Oak felt complete. Firefly barely remembered that night, only knowing bits and pieces. Oak, though, remembered everything...

Rain pelted onto the roof of the hut. Oak shivered slightly, moving closer to his sister to lend her his warmth. Falling unconsious once more, Oak nearly missed his father's light talonsteps moving away from the door.

Sometime later, a crash sounded. Thinking it was just thunder, Oak thought nothing of it. That is, until an ear-shattering roar sounded. One of pure anger and angiush. Oak's head shot up, his wing pulling Firefly closer. He listened intently, hearing small crashes. Then, everything went silent.

For a moment, Oak believed all was well. Then he heard it. Small sobs were coming from the main room. That was where Sapphire had been, the closest section to their parent's room... Even as a three year old, Oak knew that something had happened. Something terrible had happened to his family.

Sniffing, Oak pulled Firefly even closer, losing himself in his thoughts, the only sound being the rain and his mother's angiushed cries from the other room.

The memory left a bitter taste in Oak's mouth. But now, instead of mourning his loss, Oak could rejoice in being able to know his littlest sister. Even seeing her, hugging her, protecting her, it was like nothing he had ever imagined. Finally, his family had gotten the happiness they deserved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you guys enjoyed that chapter! I know it may seem a bit odd for Sapphire to already be perfectly okay hugging her family, but, in my mind(which can be a little crazy at times) it makes sense for the only dragons that she fears are IceWings. Before being found, she had never even seen a different dragon other than IceWings, so she only knows to fear them, the others have done nothing to her. Either way, hope you guys have a great day and stay safe!

Added this after the fact lol- but I keep forgetting! Shout out to @snailpails for always voting and just being supportive!