Chapter 8: Partners & Friends

Start from the beginning

-Two years? Did she use you for two years? – You asked madly.

Jaemin nodded before taking a deep breath. -We dated two entire years, but I guess I was the only one that was emotionally involved in the relationship. – Jaemin said before clearing his throat. -After that, I never saw her again. And then, I began to work for my father along with my friends. – Jaemin concluded before smiling at you, his eyes showing the sorrow of the remembrance, but his expression showing something completely different.

Is that how Jaemin sees me whenever I laugh about something hurtful?

-Why are you smiling? – I asked, concerned.

-I learn from someone "special" that smiling at your worries can make things better. – Jaemin smiled before holding your shoulder.

-I didn't want you to feel this way. But you should know that people like that girl won't get happiness unless they change. I'm sorry for what happened to you. Just don't push people away only because strangers like that girl exist. – You told Jaemin sincerely.

-I guess I became anxious after experiencing so many twisted friendships and a chaotic relationship. – Jaemin admitted before stroking his hair back and then sighed. -I'm getting better, though. I have given my trust to someone new, and that's immense progress. – Jaemin disclosed.

-Who is it? Do I know the person? – You asked, intrigued.

Jaemin chuckled. -It's you, Narae. So, don't pretend like you don't know. – Jaemin smiled before standing up, and then he walked towards the kitchen.

-Are you making another coffee? – You questioned.

-No! – Jaemin replied sarcastically, which made you smile and giggle.

Not bad for a grumpy boss.

*6:30 p.m.*

-Jaemin's POV-

The reunion with the guys went well. The project is coming along, and some details are the ones we have to check before having our final review and giving the blueprints to the constructing team. For now, everything looks great for my team, and even though most of the things are getting done, we still have to work hard.

Right now, I'm alone at my apartment with Narae once again. The boys wanted to go before since they needed to get their things out of Jeno's place, so they went out earlier. It wasn't ideal for me since I didn't want to be with Narae; after all, I still remember what I talked to her before our friends came.

I'm sitting down on the edge of my bed while thinking about what to do. Narae is organizing the paperwork I left on the table, but she asked for a word with me once she gets everything done. I don't have a clue about what she wants to talk about; however, I have a slight idea that it won't be about work.

-Even in your apartment is hard to find you. – Narae chuckled slightly before sitting next to me.

-Was it? I thought you would know. – I admitted while looking down at the floor.

Narae chuckled before patting my back. -You look like if someone wanted to scold you or something; why don't you cheer up? – She questioned before holding my hand, making me look at her almost instantly.

-What do you want to talk about then? – I asked, feeling conflicted.

-I was curious to know about Eunju. You know, it looks like she won't give up on you no matter what you say to her. – Narae spoke while looking at me.

-Sonu Eunju is a person that I see as the typical girl with a crush on someone. I believe she likes me because of my looks or something like that. – I disclosed before scratching the back of my head.

-You seem annoyed when you talk about Eunju. – Narae noticed before caressing my hand.

I smiled. -Eunju gets into my last nerve from time to time. She's a nice girl, but also ambitious and snob. – I said, describing her the best I could.

-You know each other for a long time. Right? – Narae questioned.

-Yes. Our fathers are best friends, so that's what I get. – I joked before looking at Narae's hand on mine. I held it and stared back at her eyes. -Why are you asking about her, huh? – I said, intrigued.

-Simple curiosity. – Narae smirked slightly.

-Narae, are you lying to your boss? – I questioned, messing with Narae a little.

She chuckled. -You aren't my boss right now; we stopped the work already. – Narae declared while smiling.

-So, you'll lie to a friend? – I asked while intertwining our fingers together.

Narae chuckled before resting her head on my shoulder. I placed mine on hers before taking a deep breath.

-I don't love the way Eunju annoys you, I guess. – Narae talked at last.

-You can get involved if you see that I don't want her close. – I told Narae.

She scoffed. -No, everyone would think that we are something more than friends. – Narae exclaimed.

I laughed before looking at her. -As a friend, you can get involved. – I clarified.

-I guess that works. – Narae blushed before smiling slightly.

Step by step, I don't want to rush anything on us.