3. Improvement: Realization

Start from the beginning

"Master Diluc," you started softly, "I do not know what my father and you have discussed, but I want to apologize if he was pushing this matter too much."

"It's fine, he was stating facts, after all." Diluc exhaled in a small bit of exhaustion. Then, he decided to change the topic. "How do you feel, being in Mondstadt?"

"Absolutely wonderful!" You couldn't help but light up, though it had only been a few days, you more than enjoyed your time here. "I managed to explore most of the city today and already met some new people."

"Oh really?"

"A girl, Amber, helped me find my way through the city, the chef of Good Hunter was also really nice to me. And I met the man who has been here the other day, Kaeya."

Diluc, who had worn a neutral expression with a hint of a smile, suddenly reacted at your last statement. With a stern look and a glint of something you couldn't read in his eyes, he warned you, "Most of the people of Mondstadt are kind and honest, but be careful around that man."

His reaction took you by surprise a bit. Since Kaeya had been a guest in the Dawn Winery just a few days ago, you had thought the relationship between those two men to be better than it apparently was. Still, you were glad that you had been wary around him. "Why is that?"

"He does not like sticking to the truth," Diluc stated and then shifted the conversation back to your day. You continued talking for a bit, which thankfully started to come easier to both of you. In a short span of time, you told him of the funny and strange things you had noticed while he explained the customs and traditions of Mondstadt to you. A calm and easy talk. You enjoyed it.

When your father came back to the dining room later, he saw the two of you in conversation, smiled and left again unnoticed.

Soon, the young master had to get back to his business, and you stayed, looking out of the window for a few more moments, pondering over your situation. While you and Diluc certainly got along well, you did not like the uncertainty of all of this. You wanted to get away from all of it for the moment. Away from everything. Out of reach. Without anybody near you, just you alone with your thoughts.

You had found that you needed that kind of sereneness, ever since that incident - the one that left you broken. You needed a place without the coercion to wear a mask or force a smile, where nobody expected you to act like you were fine. Solely for this reason you so desperately tried to escape crowded places and people in general. Why you enjoyed sitting on the roof of the winery. Why you ached to leave the settlement and wander into the forests, hike up the mountains or stroll along the fields. Just explore nature.

Your goal was to reach the highest point in Mondstadt. Be closer to the sun and feel its beams on your face.

Maybe then you'd be able to stand taller than your past and leave it behind you.

Maybe then, you'd finally be able to feel the warmth of life again.

You looked out of the window, to the mountains, yearning to be there.

With a loud and very unfeminine yelp you landed on the ground. The treasure hoarders just laughed while they moved to circle you.

"Well, little miss, now show us what valuables you have on you."

"I'm sure she's from a wealthy family, just look at her clothes!"

"Yeah, man... I'm sure your jewelry is worth a lot!"

"I don't even wear any!" you spat. "Just let me go!"