Chapter 6 Convincing

Ponyboy

After what I saw in the hospital, I ran home. I had to tell Soda and Darry.

Would they believe me?

Soda would. Darry... maybe.

I arrived at my house later than usual, so whenever I got in the house Soda and Darry were waiting on me.

"Where the hell have you been? You should've been home 2 hours ago!" Darry starts to raise his voice, but his voice is filled with more concern than anger.

"I know I'm late. I went to the hospital to see Marcie and guys..." I take a moment to breathe. "...You won't believe what happened!" I exclaim.

"Did she wake up?" Soda said with a brightness in his eyes. My face dropped.

"No. I wish she did, but she was there. She talked to me sort of!" I say. But something in Soda's face tells me he doesn't believe me.

"She talked to you, Pony?" Soda asked with concern.

"I know it sounds crazy, but believe me, please. I told her to move the flowers I brought her and she did! It was amazing. She's alive."

"Listen, Pony. I miss her too. So does Soda. But her ghost throwing things is just...unbelievable." Darry tells me with concern.

Why is everyone so concerned? We should be rejoicing! Marcie is alive! There is hope. Why does no one believe me?

"Why don't you guys believe me? Soda?" I ask Soda directly but he looks away. He must've thought I've gone crazy.

I look down at the floor. "Johnny would've believed me." I say more to myself than them.

"Ponyboy. It's just this idea of ghosts is a little far fetched is all." Soda says trying to comfort me. I'm done trying to explain myself.

"I will prove it to you...that she's alive, her ghost is here." I say.

Soda and Darry's face are both full of concern, but I don't care anymore. My mission is to get my brothers to believe me. An idea struck me.

"Hey. Let's go to the hospital. Marcie can show you herself." I say.

After much convincing, we head to the hospital. Hopefully Marcie will be there.

•••

"Pony, we've been here for an hour." Darry says.

"It just takes time, Darry. This isn't a magic trick." I say trying to convince him to stay.

"Marcie. Whenever you are ready, throw the flowers again. I know you can do it." I say looking around the room, not knowing where she will be.

Soda and Darry look tired. They are trying to believe me I can tell, but their hope is lost. I look at my brother Sodapop and try to read his face. He's facing the ground with a sad look on his face. His face was always full of smiles when we visited Marcie. 

"Have you lost hope, Soda?" I ask him looking at the floor, not wanting to look up at him.

He takes a moment before answering. "No. Not completely. Pony, you just have to remember that it's been four years and no one else in this world will want to see her wake up as much as us. But four years is a long time." Soda starts. "You remember how things ended with her and Darry. Darry has had this guilt in him for a very long time and all he wants is to apologize." Soda pauses then continues. "I- I on the hand should've been faster. Maybe if I was faster I could've pushed her out of the way in time." Soda takes a deep breath and looks down. "We want to see her as much as you do Pony. We want to believe you. But it's been an hour or so and we have to work tomorrow and you have school." Soda finishes.

I know they have to leave and so do I. Maybe doing it the first time drained Marcie? I'm unsure. I hope she's okay.

We leave the hospital and head home.

The following day I head to school and try to stay focused.

After lunch, I open my locker to get my books for biology and a note falls out.

It reads:

Ponyboy Curtis,

I hope this finds you in good health. I know we don't speak much, but I felt obligated to say that I am sorry about Marcilynn. She was a good friend to me even though we didn't speak much. She was always so sweet and so kind. I hope she gets well soon and in time for graduation! You are a great brother, Ponyboy. You setting up posters and money jars shows how much you love and appreciate your sister. I couldn't find one of the jars, but here is $5. I hope it helps.

Best wishes,

Patty

Patty was always sweet to us. We didn't talk much, but when we did she was uplifting. The extra money helps us keep up with the medical bills. The school has been very helpful with that. When Cherry was in high school she would do fundraisers all the time to help anyone who might be in need. Over a phone call with Cherry, she mentioned fundraisers and I started a small one of my own. If anyone can spare any money whatsoever whether it be 25 cents to a dollar, it would help tremendously. Many of my peers have helped me throughout the years with this fundraiser to help pay for Marcie's medical bills. I've also received many letters like Patty's addressed to me or Marcie. I've been more than grateful.

"Hey sweetie." Rose says from behind me and kisses my cheek.

"Hey." I say still looking at the note. Rose was obviously curious, but didn't want to ask about it in case it was private. "Patty donated some money and gave me a note."

"That's really sweet of her." Rose says. She stays hugging behind me for a while until the bell rang.  "Hey I have to go to class, but I'll see you tonight?"

"Of course. Love you." I say. I nearly forgot about our date. 

"And I love you, Ponyboy Curtis." Rose gives me a wink and then leaves me alone at my locker once again.

I look back at the letter and examine it reading every word separately. 

Cherry Valance...

I should call Cherry. I haven't spoken to her in a while. I haven't even seen her for a couple of years. How does she look? Does she have a boyfriend? Why would I think that? Ponyboy get yourself together. You have a girlfriend. A girlfriend who loves you. And... I love her. 

That night after we got home from the hospital (per routine) I called Cherry. The campus phone didn't pick up, so I decided that I'd skip school tomorrow and drive to the University of Oklahoma to visit Cherry.

I hope she doesn't mind.