Chapter 3 Hopeful

Marcilynn

The next day was pretty boring. Although, it's usually like that until my brothers visit me.

They have a set schedule for when they come visit. Today all of them get to visit after school and work.

After finishing up my daily lap, I walk back into my room. The nurse who always takes care of me. Is next to me. She's talking to me.

"-and the doctor said soon. So soon." the nurses eyes are full of hope as she tells me.

Underneath my hand is her hand. She's tried this trick before and I've done it a couple of times. She keeps her hand under mine in hope that I'll use my finger to trace letters onto her palm.

I lay on top of myself on the bed and try to fit into the position of how I'm laying. I focus on my hand and I start to feel it. Is today the day? What do I say?

I start to move my fingers and I hope I'm spelling it right.

"Marcie! Okay, okay-" the nurse says ready to figure out what I'm trying to spell. "H-O-P-E. Are you hopefully Marcie?"

I move my fingers again.

"Y-E-S. Yes. I'm hopeful too Marcie." the nurse sits and smiles at me for a while.

Soon the door opens and all three of my brothers walk into the room.

"Hey nurse, Sal!" Sodapop says.

"Hi boys." the nurse says.

The nurse pulls them together at the door before they have a chance to set down the flowers they are holding.

"Marcie was able to do the finger trick again today. I told her the good news about her waking up soon and she spelled Hope. And I asked her if she was hopeful and she said Yes. She's there guys." the nurse smiles at my three brothers who all have smiling faces after what she told them.

The nurse leaves and my brothers come into my room.

Each one of my brothers had a flower in their hand. They went ahead and added them to pile of dead flowers, new flowers, and "get well soon" cards. This was daily procedure for them. They come in to visit me and check on me. Then they ask the doctor about any updates and the usual answer is no. After that, they tell me good night and head home.

They visited past the time they usually do. They talked nonstop and we did the hand trick again. They all had smiling faces and were laughing all night. I couldn't help but laugh too. I missed them so much and I wish I would wake up.

I take a deep breath when they leave the room and I follow them. They don't say much as they walk to the elevator. As I'm following close behind, Ponyboy shoots around and looks at me dead in the eye and for a moment I thought he could see me.

"Pony?"  I ask confused and scared. He doesn't answer. All he does is stare with a frightened look on his face that turns into confusion.

"Pony? You okay?" Sodapop asks Ponyboy.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Pony says quickly and turns around. They enter the elevator and the doors close.

I find myself confused and frustrated.

I'd follow them home, but when I tried that the first time I felt very faint. I felt as if  I was going to die, so I turned around immediately.

As I take the long walk back to my room passing awake patients, nurses, and doctors, I feel frustrated. Could he see me? Could sense my presence? I feel like if he saw me, he'd react more than he did. But he could've sensed me. He could feel me there with him. He knows I'm here and okay. Him knowing gives me so much hope.

I go on my nightly walk around the hospital with a smile and hope.