Chapter 4 She Did It

Ponyboy

When we finished saying our goodbyes to Marcie, we headed out into the hallway to where the elevators are. Darry presses the down button once we arrive. We are on floor 6th and the elevator was on the 1st floor, so we had to wait. The elevator doors open and I could've sworn someone touch my back. But when I turn around no one is there. I felt a presence. I felt it staring at me.

"Pony? You okay?" Sodapop asks me from the elevator.

"Yeah, I'm fine. " I say. I quickly turn around and step into the elevator. Once the doors close, the presence I felt before vanished.

"Did you see something?" Darry asks me obviously intrigued.

"No. It was the weirdest thing. I could've sworn I felt something behind me. It wasn't one of you two was it?" I look at them ready to be mad if they say yes.

"We were in front of you Pony. How could we have reached you?" Soda says with a good point. I guess it wasn't them.

I'm not a huge believer of ghosts. I never have been. The thought is quite bizarre itself.

Once we get home, I immediately walk towards my room. As I am about to walk into my room, I look at Marcie's closed bedroom door.

Marcie. Could that presence I felt earlier be Marcie? It couldn't have been. Right? I mean after four years you would think I'd feel her presence before then? I don't know. I know she can hear me when I talk to her, but can she see me? This is a lot to process. Am I overthinking this?

"Good night, Ponyboy!" Darry says startling me from my thoughts.

"Night, Pony!" Soda calls out as well before closing the door to his room.

I shake my head. "Good night." I reply.

Maybe I should go back to the hospital tomorrow and see if I can feel it again. I'll go alone, so I can rule out Soda and Darry messing with me. I believed them the first time, I just need to see or feel it with my own eyes by myself.

I continue to look at her door. Before I know it, I've opened the door to her room peering inside.

It's just how she left it. Books with dust gathered on top scattered the ground and her shelves. Her bed was unmade, but it looked so comfy. Her room was dark, but the light from the moon shined brightly in her dust covered room. I walked over and sat on her unmade bed. I notice the book she was currently reading was my copy of Gone With the Wind that Johnny Cade had given me. It was covered in dust. I picked it up and wiped the top off revealing the vibrant colors of the book. I smiled and set it back down where it was.

We never come into her room. We leave it alone as if she was in here and she wanted her privacy. As I looked around the room, I begin to feel lonely. My only sister, twin sister, wasn't with me. Tears start to brim at my eyes. No. I can't cry. Not yet. She's still alive and damn it she's going to come home soon. I can feel it. I took a deep breath and looked around one last time. I got up and walked to the door, but before I closed the door to her room, I gave it a smile. I imagined she was right there reading or telling me to fuck off and leave her alone. I chuckled and closed her door.

...

After school I head to the super market to grab some flowers for Marcie. It's routine at this point. The florist hands me the flowers I ordered and I start my walk to the hospital. I usually go to the hospital by myself after school every other day. Then later in the day Soda and Darry come by and sometimes the rest of the gang. Today is a Tuesday, so I should be heading home, but instead I'm going to the hospital. I didn't tell my brothers where I was going. I know Darry will get worried, but I wanted to go alone. What they don't know won't hurt them, right?