Chapter Two

It has been three years since Y/N left, but Severus had not forgotten her. Why did Dumbledore bring her back here? And more importantly, why had he placed her as his assistant?

As the evening meal came to an end, Severus watched Y/N stand and follow Minerva out of the Great Hall. How was he supposed to work with her every day when he could barely stand to be in the same room as her? At least Minerva was handling the pleasantries, and would surely show Y/N to her living quarters so that he didn't have to.

The last lingering students finally excused themselves from the hall, and Severus rose from his chair, his black cloak draping around his figure. He slowly strode over to where Albus was still seated, and placed a hand on the back of his chair.

"Albus - "

"My decision is final, Severus." Albus interrupted without turning around, an amused smile on his face. "I suspect the students will appreciate having the two of your contrasting personas in the classroom and perhaps she will prove to be a great asset to your teachings."

"But Albus - " Severus tried again.

"You must choose your battles wisely, Severus. I won't change my mind." Albus then stood and leisurely walked to the door behind the high table, stealing a glance over his shoulder at Severus, who was still standing behind the chair.

"Give it a chance, Severus." Albus said softly, before exiting the hall.