100 Block, 28 Minutes

If I'm going to be walking, I'm going to need sustenance. I have to admit I've been dying to try out the delicatessen on the corner, but it's a bit unnerving. The kinds of people that patronize an establishment like that don't... well, frankly, they don't look like I do. But therein lies the beauty of going in, anyway; the sweat-encrusted workers should be pleasantly surprised to see someone of my, shall we say, taste coming in for some grease between buns wrapped in foil. Then, the other customers will realize that I don't really think I'm too good for this place like they thought I thought. It's a great plan.

In theory, though, because I am. Maybe one day I will bring myself to dress down and go in on my lunch break. But today is not that day. I'll settle for my usual Matcha Frappuccino from the competition.

The bell jingles as I walk through the door, announcing my entrance. The usual barista is here.

"Hey, Val," he says with a sense of familiarity as I approach the counter.

"Hey, Warner. I'll have my usual, please," I say. Green tea is the sweetest nectar, squeezed from the pits of the bohemian gods and goddesses. It's healthy, and tasty, and I can't imagine how things would be if I didn't get my fix every day.

Warner purses his lips. "Sorry, Val, we're fresh out."

I guess I spoke too soon. I frown. "What?" I say, devastated, "but that never happens!"

"I know. We were cleaned out this morning. I can sell you some loose in a tin, if you'd like," he suggests. But it's not the same. I order some generic, conventional, highly caffeinated beverage and make my exit.

Okay. So my car decides to take a shit when I'm on my way to work and my drink of choice isn't available at my job's competitor. But, silver linings: there has to be some, right? Warner appears to have given me an eco-friendly cup, instead of the normal plastic. He knows me too well. I should date him, but he isn't a vegan. It's too bad, really. I think we would produce some beautiful mixed-race babies, and then our friends and family would realize that love knows no color.

I'm almost at the end of the block. Things are off to a rocky start, but it certainly could be worse.