Overture

Let me be your freedom
Let daylight dry your tears
I'm here, with you, beside you
To guard you and to guide you

Envy is the only one of the seven deadly sins not rooted in selfish joy. In glutton, your belly is full. You have dined on rich foods to your hearts contents and your stomach's capacity. In greed, you bathe in luxury. Gold bars and coins and jewels that, while can't buy happiness, certainly can get you a comfortable home or a holiday anywhere from here. In lust, you know of the pulsing and aching pleasures of sex. And you crave it insatiably.

In envy, there is a lack of something. Your belly isn't full, you are not living in a comfortable home, the one you lust after is not yours.

In Greek mythology, it is Hera's envy for Aphrodite that sparked the Trojan War. In the Bible, it is from envy that Cain murdered Abel. In the Hindu Mahabharata , it is from envy that Duryodhana waged war against his cousins the Pandavas. In real life, it is from envy that Hermione Granger will wring Harry Potter's neck.

You want your friends to be successful, but sometimes only to an extent. You want them to be successful, but not overtly more successful than you.

Like a friend announcing a pregnancy just after you've miscarried. Or an engagement after a particularly nasty breakup of yours.

So while Harry gestures widely and excitedly about his wife and his new home and the impending birth of his first child, Hermione is happy for him. But only to an extent.

"Ginny's aversion to food is getting worse, though. One minute she's craving egg drop soup and only from the Chinese restaurant down the road and by the time I've made it home, she wants to throw up at the sight of it."

"Hm."

"I think I've eaten three gallons of egg drop soup in the last month alone. And it's not bad, but I wish her craving would be something besides soup."

"Mhmm."

"She's getting bigger, too. She's always been so skinny it's odd to see her with a belly, but I love it."

"Mm."

"Mrs. Weasley mentioned it the other day and I think Ginny almost hexed her for it."

"Wow."

Harry, who had been talking while focusing his gaze on the arrangement of his salad suddenly turned his eyes up to his friend who sat stirring her coffee absentmindedly, gazing at the cafeteria around them and not paying attention to the recounting of his wife's pregnant woes.

"Hermione?"

"Hm?" The twin stirring sticks paused in the liquid and her eyes snapped to meet his.

"Were you even listening to me?" Harry shook his head.

"Of course!"

"Oh really, then what is it Ginny has been craving this month?"

"I... Peanut butter?"

Harry sighed, rubbing his eyes under his glasses. "Not even close. Why don't you tell me what's on your mind?"

"Nothing!" Hermione huffed, sipping her coffee indignantly.

"There's something pulling your attention from me..." Harry paused, "Is it Ron?"

Yes. No. Most of it... Some of it.

Harry sighed, "I know it's hard with him on the road all the time--"

Hermione snorted. It was not hard with him on the road all the time as the Keeper for the Chudley Cannons. In fact, it was decidedly pleasant when he was on the road. It was quiet in the apartment. No loud games over the radio or constant visitors. She could go to dinner and not be cornered by groups of pubescent girls awestruck by not only the other male figure in the Golden Trio, but also their prized Keeper.