Part 4: Mercury-Venus Conjunction

Throughout the night Elena continued to toss and turn until she couldn't handle it anymore. She sat up, running her fingers through her hair and shoving her blankets aside. She seen an alarm clock on the nightstand, showing bold green letters that is was six o'clock in the morning.

She figured Kai would wake her up in a very unpleasant way, so she was actually glad she didn't sleep. Standing up and pacing she continued to think over all the questions she had wondered throughout the day- or the day before.

If he was just going to torture he, why would he let her feed? She could go without blood about two weeks before turning to stone, so why would he give her blood?

Why did Kai decide to be a gentleman and take the couch? Most captors wouldn't be so kind, so why was he?

If he were truly evil wouldn't he have slept in the same room?

And the question bothering her the most. Why wasn't she trying to escape? She had every reason to, but she wasn't. It was dark, Kai was most likely asleep, and it would be the perfect opportunity to just slip away into the night. All she could think about though, was whether or not to go down the stairs and face the man that had kidnapped her, and talk to him. No specific question, nothing important, just curiosity.

Inhaling deeply, she carefully opened the door and crept down the hall to the top of the stairs. She took the first step, holding her breath, hoping the old wooden stairs wouldn't creek.

She took the steps slowly, not letting a single creek escape from under her. Once she reached the bottom she seen Kai sitting on the couch eating a bowl of cereal.

"Why are you up so early?" Elena realized how stupid she was, trying to be quiet and not wake him when he was already awake.

"I'm going to kill my sister today." Kai smiled, scooping a bowl of the colorful cereal into his mouth. "I googled it and there is a..." Kai paused looking back to his phone. "Mercury-Venus Conjunction, tonight."

"Your really going through with this?" It wasn't really a question because she knew the answer, but she still couldn't believe it.

"Yeah, that's why I'm fueling up," Kai joked, holding nip the bowl of cereal, before setting it back down and standing. "Pack your bags, were going home."

***********

"They're not here!" Damon practically growled through the phone, throwing a lamp to the ground and shattering it. He spent the whole night driving to that little farmhouse to find it abandoned?

"What do you mean? That was our only lead on where they were. Do you think that girl lied?" Alaric asked, looking back at the living room full of witches. Luke, and Liv were both trying to get Jo ready to merge, when Kai decided to come back. She wasn't the best, but in a a week or two she would be ready, and they had confidence in that.

"Why would she... Unless," Damon eyes narrowed as he rushed out of the house and started his car. "It was a set-up to get me out of the way. Kai's coming to Mystic Falls. You have to get Jo ready for the merge, it's happening tonight."

"But she's-" Alaric was cut off as Damon hung up. "Thanks buddy."

"What was that about?" Luke asked quietly, walking up behind Alaric as they watched Jo start yet another fire.

"Sorry!" They heard Jo yelled as Alaric led Luke out of the room.

"He's coming, tonight. Jo isn't ready, we have to get her out of town." Alaric explained. He knew Damon would hate him, but he couldn't risk Jo's life. Not now, not ever.