20.

20. home
'home is wherever I'm with you'
~

The Garrison laid silent. The two women who sat inside could practically hear their own heartbeats.

They both just listened. Listened for a sign, any sign that their boys were okay, that it was over.

Ivy wanted nothing more than to run out and see for herself but she couldn't, she'd promised him.

Finally the deafening silence was broken by at least ten men bursting through the doors of the Garrison. Both Ivy and Polly to stood up, Ivy's eyes frantically searching through the crowd for Tommy.

John, that's one alive.

Arthur, that's another.

Freddie, tha- wait, Freddie? Last Ivy heard her brother was in prison.

Rushing over, she slapped his arm, to which he turned and faced her. He looked beaten up and awfully slim, but he was alive, he was free and had a big smile on his face.

"Freddie, what the fuck?"

"Oh, hey sis."

"When did you get out?"

"This morning. Blinders freed me."

"Right, well what happened outside? Did we lose any men? I heard three shots." She spoke frantically, desperate for answers.

Pulling her away from the crowd, he held her by the shoulders to tell her what had happened.

"The first shot got Tommy."

"What?" Ivy felt tears well up in her eyes as her knees gave way but luckily Freddie was there to catch her.

"It got him but he's okay, Iviana. He's okay." He reassured her, steadying her so she was once again on her feet. "It got his shoulder but he's fine, he's going to be alright."

"Yeah, okay." She nodded, heart still pounding.

"The second got Danny Whizz-Bang. He's gone. The third went into Kimber. He's gone too." Ivy processed what she was being told, overwhelmed but thankful that her Tommy was okay.

"Where's Tommy? Where is he?"

"They've taken him into the little room." Without giving him time to say anything else, she rushed into the room where she was met with a heartbreaking sight.

Tommy was sat in a chair, shirtless, with everyone gathered around him assessing the wound. He grunted and groaned in pain, a sound that broke Ivy's heart.

Rushing straight over to him, she took his face in her hands and crashed her lips onto his, not caring that there were at least five other men in the room watching. Tommy held her with his one good arm, keeping a grip on her when she pulled away.

"Stay with me." He panted heavily, clearly in severe pain.

"Of course." Her hand tangled in his hair, supporting his head as the men decided what to do.

"Right Ivy." Arthur handed her a bottle of cheap gin, removing his own jacket ready for action. "You hold that. Anyone who isn't family, get out."

Most of the men left as Jeremiah set to work removing the bullet embedded in  Tommy's shoulder. Ivy couldn't even bare to look, tightly squeezing her eyes shut.

Tommy buried his head in her stomach, his free hand gripping her coat for dear life but it didn't mask his screams. He shouted loud enough for all of garrison lane to hear.

"Take it." Arthur encouraged him. "Come on, almost there, Tom."

"Hold him still, Ivy." John called. She tightened his grip on him. He was sweating profusely at this point, every part of his body shaking in pain.

Luckily, it wasn't long before the bullet was removed.

"There. I still have the knack." Jeremiah prided himself, throwing the bullet into a glass on the table. As relieved as both Ivy and Tommy were, they knew it wasn't over yet.

He gazed up at her lovingly, looking as though he was about to pass out. Ivy handed him the bottle of gin, holding his head still as he drank.

"Right." Arthur snatched the bottle from him. "Deep breath." He told Tommy before pouring the alcohol over his fresh wound, earning another set of cries from the man.

"That's it. It's done." Arthur smiled, gently slapping his brother's cheek. Tommy let out a final grunt before his breathing returned back to normal.

The brothers walked out of the room, leaving Tommy and Ivy alone.

"We did it." Tommy breathed, extending his arm to invite her in for a hug.

"Yeah well you're lucky I don't shoot your other shoulder." She spoke half joking, half serious. She was relieved but still furious he had gotten himself in this mess.

"I know, I'm sorry." He snaked an arm around her waist as she sat on his lap.

"Don't you ever do business without me again, yeah?" She tangled her hand in his hair, gently pulling it so that he was looking up at her. His lips parted as he grinned at her. He found it so sexy when she took charge.

"Yes boss." He smiled, leaning in to kiss his fiancé. "Now let's go celebrate."

The night was full of joy and laughter. People sang and drank and celebrated.  Tommy and Ivy used it as a sort of engagement party as well as marking their newly legal business. Tommy spent the night bragging to everyone about having her back and her being all his.

For once, he wasn't afraid to show his vulnerability. She was his weakness, she always had been and she always would be. And that was okay.

As the night droned on, the huge crowd that had accumulated slowly started dissipating.

After waving off Ada and Freddie, two of the last to leave, Ivy and Tommy walked back into their pub to asses the damage

"You forgot about your champagne." Polly called from behind the bar as she began tidying.

"Oh yeah." Tommy smiled, throwing an arm around Ivy's shoulder. "Grab us some glasses, Pol."

Leaning against the bar, Ivy looked around. This pub was technically hers too now, it all was. There were men dotted around who were too drunk to make it home, John and Arthur were practically asleep in a booth. It had been one hell of a party.

"Today was a good day." Tommy nodded as he unwrapped the top of the bottle. "Shelby company limited is now the third largest legal race track operation in the country. Or at least it will be once we join forces with the Thornes." He winked towards his fiancé, speaking loud enough for his brothers in the corner to stir. They raised their glasses, murmuring illegible phrases.

Tommy popped the bottle, the cork hitting the roof before pouring it into three glasses, taking one and handing one to Ivy. Polly took the third but moved away from the couple to continue tidying.

Tommy turned his body to fully face Ivy, observing her. The expression on her face was pure contentment, happiness swam in her eyes and for once, he felt whole again. He raised his glass, touching it gently to hers.

"To us."

"To us."

~~~~~~