9.

9. up for ransom
'alert the town, we'll capture him quick.
alert the town, oh, he's already left.'
~

The races were packed, full of foolish people throwing away money and bragging about their wealth and success. Ivy was the most successful person of her age there and without a doubt the most successful woman. However she felt no need to brag. Confidence isn't about bragging after all, confidence is walking into a room without feeling the need to prove yourself to anyone.

Owning a pitch at the races gave Ivy access to anywhere she pleased, including the balcony. From the balcony, she could see all the pitches as well as all the exits. She stationed herself in a corner to prevent attracting attention. Only a wall separated her from the room where Tommy was speaking to Mr Kimber, awaiting her to deliver the goods.

Ivy had just lit a cigarette when something caught her eye. A man from one of the pitches was carrying a bag, most likely carrying money towards what looked to be the bathroom. As if she was dangling a carrot in front of a donkey, a Lee boy wasn't far behind him. The peaky boys were watching her from various locations. She gestured for them to head after the Lee boy as Ivy grabbed a glass off a tray, sipping the beverage as she sashayed in the direction of the bathroom.

Reaching the entrance, she leant against the cold wall. As she reached the end of her cigarette, several men flew out of the bathroom past her, including the poor bookie she had seen carrying the bag. By the time she had finished her drink, a young, attractive police man was heading towards her after seeing the commotion. Like many of the men there that day, his eyes couldn't help but fall to Ivy.

"Is something wrong officer?" She smiled innocently.

"Good day Miss Thorne, may I ask what's going on in there?"

"How should I know when I'm stood out here with you?" They both knew how but for him to say it would be far too unprofessional. "The Lees pay you to look the other way for them, what's the rate for you to do the same for me and my boys?"

"We don't accept bribes, Miss Thorne." Hearing the door open, they both looked up to see John.

"Officer." He nodded before turning his attention to Ivy. "Shall we go get a drink, my love?"

"Certainly." Ivy flashed a crimson smirk at the officer before being led away by John. Snaking around the building, they were met by the other blinders.

"You know where you're going with this, right Ivy?" Arthur asked, referring to the bag of money he had retrieved from the Lee boy.

"Of course, I know this place like the back of my hand." She took the bag off Arthur before heading off on her own. She snaked all around the back of the building until she came to a window. On the other side of it was a long hallway where those working in the main hall could take a rest or use the bathroom. Everyone she saw in that hall moved aside for her, not even questioning the fact that the most powerful woman in Birmingham was walking through workers' quarters with a bag of money.

As she walked through the door which separated the hallway from the main hall, she saw Tommy leaning against a post as planned. He was looking in the direction of the dance floor, his attention turning to the elegant woman as she approached. His eyes unapologetically raked up and down her body before resting on her red lips

"You look nice." 'Nice' was not the word in his head.

"Thank you. Where is she?" Ivy asked, referring to Grace who was supposed to be acting as Tommy's date.

"Dancing with Kimber, I tried to keep the business going until you got here but he was set on pursuing her."

"Let him. Spies are just as good for bribes as money."

"You don't know she's a spy."

"Yet. Come on, let's sort this." Tommy took the money from Ivy, his eyes once again wandering over her frame as she headed through the crowd towards Kimber. His mind wandered as he followed, wondering if it was possible to fall in love twice in different ways for the same person. In his eyes the innocence of their love was long gone but the lust remained no doubt on his part.

"Mr Kimber."

"Hel-lo." He dragged out, instantly forgetting the pretty, frail blonde he was holding onto and turning his attention Ivy.

"In that bag is money retrieved from a Lee boy who had just robbed one of your bookies." Kimber seemed bored by the talk of business.

"Yeye, Tommy why don't you go talk to my accountant while I buy Miss Thorne here a drink."

"If the business will concern me, I would prefer to be present." Ivy glanced over to Tommy who was clenching his jaw.

"My Kimber why doesn't Iviana speak to your accountant and we can both go get everyone drinks."

Kimber looked defeated, rolling his eyes before grumbling in agreement. Ivy spotted the accountant not so far away. The crowd parted for her as she sauntered through, Tommy following after her with the bag of retrieved money.

"I'll be back soon." He whispered to her before turning on his heels and walking back over to Kimber.

~

After what felt like hours of discussion and compromising, Ivy and the accountant felt as though they had reached some sort of agreement.

"I'll write up the contracts which will need to be signed by yourself and Mr Shelby and have them sent to your separate offices."

"Pleasure doing business with you." Ivy reached her hand over the table, sealing their agreement with a firm handshake. Just as she rose from her seat to find Tommy, he locked eyes with her, marching towards her with purpose.

"Let's go." He put his arm around her, turning to exit the building.

"We made a deal with as little compromise from our side as possible. He's going to have contracts sent to both of us."

"Yeah, Yeah good. Thank you." Ivy only now noticed that he seemed on edge. Resisting his arm pushing her out towards the car, Ivy stopped. "What?" His eyebrows furrowed as he kept his arm outstretched for her to return to.

"Why are you in such a rush? And where's Grace?" They were stood around the back of the racecourse. All around them was lined with cars although no one else appeared to be hanging around here.

"She wanted to go back with Kimber." If she couldn't already tell he was lying, the way he avoided eye contact screamed guilty.

"Thomas." She crossed her arms to show her anger but he had turned his back to her, looking over the area to make sure no one else was around.

Walking so that she was once again stood in front of him, Ivy slapped him across the cheek. It wasn't hard enough to hurt him but was just hard enough that he would know she was serious. Tommy stood with his mouth open, unable to process what had just happened.

"Don't fucking lie to me." It took Tommy every scrap of willpower he possessed not to slam her into a wall and kiss her plump red lips which had been teasing him all day.

"Kimber tried to add you to the agreement. He wanted a night with you or he said the deal was off and he wouldn't sign the contracts."

"So you offered Grace up instead?"

"No. He realised I'd never let it happen so he suggested Grace."

"You're unbelievable Thomas, you know that?" He bowed his head as if his mother was yelling at him. Ivy looked around, searching for an idea.

"Right." She began, turning back to him. "You're going to find John and Arthur and tell them to give the Lees a lot of money to follow Kimber's car. First chance they get, they're going to run it off the road and take the girl. It may even make Kimber more eager to sign the contracts and gain our protection."

Tommy shook his head. "Why do you always know what to do?"