my letter to you pt. 1

Inspiration: Hi, again. Been a while, and I've been rewatching Trollhunters again. This time I thought back to when Jim wrote letters to everyone when he thought he was going to die from fighting with Draal. I thought about what he would say if he wrote a letter to you. [Part 1, Ep. 6]

Relationship: Jim/Reader

Summary: Jim had already planned out his final days, along with some letters he wrote beforehand. He has yet to write one for you, only because he didn't know what to tell you. Your visit changes not only his outlook on life but also, his outlook on you.

Requested by: None
.

.

.

Jim sighed when the sound of the walkie-talkie went off indicating Toby was finished talking on the radio for the night. His attention went towards a book on his desk only to shake his head in defeat. No way is he going to learn anything from the book Blinky gave him if he can't even read a single letter in it. His blue orbs shifted to the blank piece of paper and an envelope with your name on it lying next to the book with a pen ready to use. Problem was; he didn't know what to write. He put you last to write to since he couldn't come up with anything from his scrabbling thoughts. He lied down on his bed flat only to have his gaze shift back to his desk.

A ring woke him from his thoughts and he looked at his phone that lit up on his desk. He saw the profile of the sender to be you smiling in the photo by his side and making bunny ears to each other. He smiled sadly at the reminder of simpler times with his friends. His eyes shifted to the message attached to the profile.

Channel 3, it said.

He obligated to the vague demand as he reached for the radio he was just using with Toby. He guessed that you wanted to talk privately without Toby being able to overhear the conversation since he knew Toby kept his radio near his bed. The knob clicked under his fingers and he heard static from the other end.

"Hello," he called out, knowing that you were already there waiting for him.

"Hey there," you greeted.

"What's up?" he chirped. Even when it felt like it was the end for him, he felt his spirits pick up a bit. He could never stay gloomy when you were around, that's why he was always happy to have you as a friend.

"Nothing much," you answered with a little mischievous in your voice, "just walking the dog, doing a little night patrol, the usual."

He chuckled as he stood up from the bed to look out of his window, trying to see if he could spot you on his street. Sure enough, his eyes widen a little in surprise as he spotted you in front of his house with a black oversized hoodie on, hood up, the radio up to your chin, and a leash connected to your pet companion. He saw you smile before he spoke, "What are you doing out there? You know you can come inside, my mom won't mind you over for a bit."

"And get yelled at by my dad for going to a boy's house when he finds out? No thanks, I'll keep my distance," he heard you scoff and the brief puff of your shoulder proved you did, "but I did want to talk to you."

"Oh yeah?" he rose an eyebrow slightly, "What about?"

It was silent before you spoke, "I wanted to know how you were feeling." Jim felt the somber energy through the radio. "We've talked about it multiple times, about being a Trollhunter and its responsibilities being suddenly thrown at you, but I haven't heard about it for a while now. You've been silent about it actually."

Jim's shoulders slacked a bit from your statement. You weren't wrong and leave it up to you to read the atmosphere around him. With you, he felt like an opened book. There was no use hiding anything from you. He didn't know whether if it was because he knew you for so long, or because you knew him better than he knew himself, or both. Yet, he dismissed it a little too easily, hoping you wouldn't read him this once, "Yeah, I think I've been getting used to it."

He cringed when you sighed, "No, I don't think it's that. The look in your eyes says the opposite actually every time I see them."

"Fine," he huffed, "I'm still not used to it. Actually, I'm..." He trailed knowing he was going to let out everything on his mind to you, like it usually does, even though he hates to admit it, "I'm afraid, [Name]."

You hesitated before responding, comically, "Well, yeah, who wouldn't be? The fight is to the death."

His brows furrowed from the unexpected reply. He saw you roll your eyes as he added, "You're not really easing my nerves."

"Sorry," you added, "But I'm telling you because it's natural to feel that way. This is something that's not only new to you, but to the trolls as well. I think I know you're feeling this way too. You believe you're going to loose because if you win, you would have to finish the fight like Blinky said and we both know that you're not capable of doing that."

There you go again, knowing exactly how he felt and his beliefs. It was almost scary sometimes at how well you knew him, but right now, he didn't feel that way because he knew this is something he needed to hear. He just wish you were right by him instead of being so far and the only thing keeping the conversation was a radio.

"But I know you're capable of winning. In fact," you encouraged, "I know you're going to win, and you don't need to kill Draal to do it."

"But you heard Blinky," he interrupted your rant, "in order to become a Trollhunter, I must know how to finish the fight."

"Jim," your soft call made him look at your direction to show an equally soft smile on your lips, "That's their version of being a Trollhunter. Don't forget, you're the first human Trollhunter, find your own version of being one."

Something clicked in Jim's troubled thoughts, almost like everything froze then organized themselves, and thanks to you, he knows what to do now. "I think I know what to do now. Thanks [Nickname]," he grinned.

He saw you grin back, "Glad to be of service. And Jim."

His grin dropped slightly from your call, "Huh?"

"I'm glad you're feeling better," you called back softly again.

He found himself in a daze as your eyes connect with his the final time for the day. He saw you lower your radio and turn the knob back to the regular channel his friends would use. The static from his radio shocked him a bit, making him look down at it briefly before glancing at your form again. Your figure showed you turning back and retreating back to your home which wasn't too far from his and Toby's. His smile returned to his face as he watched you walk off with your dog following behind. He was happy he got the chance to talk to you before tomorrow. He wouldn't know what to do without you sometimes.

His eyes snapped down to the amulet that lit in his pocket and pulsed along with his thoughts. He pulled it out and held it in his hand out. The blue light shown on a nearby poster on his wall and the language changed immediately. Jim noticed it as he shown away and to the poster, testing the light if it was playing tricks on his eyes. He discovered that it wasn't and he knew what the familiar characters were. They were Trollish. An idea popped into his head as he grabbed the book from his desk and flipped it to a random page. His hunch was right when he saw the foreign language change to his mother tongue. As if the amulet had a mind of its own, it glowed brighter and moved the pages to what he needed. Pictures of trolls that looked like Draal came into view and Jim knew he needed it's contents.

Another thought came to mind as he looked up to his desk again. The blank paper was still untouched and finally felt like it was calling to him. His eyes shifted to the book and the paper. He still doesn't know whether or not if he was going to make it out alive, even when he has learned everything he needed to know. Knowledge can only go so far when going against brute strength, he told himself.

"Okay, I just need a few minutes," he told himself or the amulet, "then, it's time to hit the books."

With so, he walked over to his desk and wrote what was on his mind, hoping to convey the message to you clearly over his penmanship.

To be continued...

.

.

.

Word Count: 1425

Status: UNEDITED