stepping stool

Inspiration: I'm not a Jlaire (Jim/Claire) hater, so I thought it would be cool to have a female character help with his girl problems. Let's face it, we're all angst for this series. [Part 1, Ep. 5]

Relationship: Unrequited-Jim/Reader, Jim/Claire

Summary: Jim has been having a hard time with getting close to Claire while dealing with his second life. You decided to help him and push him in the right direction.

Requested by: None

.

.

.

Of all times, Jim could tell you when he messed up and proudly compared to what was happening right now. He remembered when he decided it was a good idea to spar with a trained warrior. He remembered how challenged the said trained warrior. He remembered helped Eli get out of the locker Steve stuffed him in. He remembered he decided it was a good idea to start a conversation with Claire in Spanish he knew little of.

He could continue the list, but this was at the top of the most embarrassing times of his life.

It was P.E. where students could learn the extent of their physical strength or it could be a haven for ruffians like Steve and a hell for pacifists like Eli. And what better way for the domineering to demonstrate their position on top of the food chain than dodgeball?

As always, Jim was on the side of the weak with Toby, Eli, you, and some others that Steve would love to pound with his goons. The game went on, and it was only the three of them left. You had long been out when you purposely left your hand out to be hit and just watch everything unfolded. Surprisingly, Jim's training was paying off since he was dodging like crazy and even catching some dodgeballs and throwing them back to hit their target. You watched with a cringe as Toby got hit in the nards and fell into place, not moving a single bit. Eli was hit dead in the face. In return, Jim threw two balls at Steve's teammates.

Steve must have realized that he was going nowhere, so he decided a new approach. He mockingly clapped his hands getting Jim's attention and said, "Pretty good, Romeo, but kiss your Juliet goodbye." He finished with holding himself and made a mockingly make out motion.

"Leave her out of this," Jim exclaimed.

"Don't listen to him, Jim," you shouted.

"Don't let him get to you--," Toby was interrupted by a ball hitting him in the face and exasperated, "Seriously?"

"Pucker up, Steve, and kiss this!" Jim threw a hard one from all the anger towards the tormentor.

It went straight towards Steve, but he managed to dodge just in time to barely miss his head. From there, everything became so slow for Jim. Because the ball had so much force, it continued to travel fast towards the opening door in which Claire was going through.

"No!"

"Oh, snap!"

When all hopes have been lost, another ball was thrown in its course and collided with it to direct the ball's path away from the surprised Claire. Everyone shared looks of surprised and look at the direction of where the second ball was thrown. There they saw you in the stance of the after-throw. It seems like you were scrambling for a ball and throwing it as hard as you can within the few seconds of what was happening since you are breathing slightly hard.

Jim stared in amazement at what you did. He could have been totally screwed but you saved him the embarrassment of facing Claire when he just made it up to her.

"Wow," Claire gaped, "Thanks, [Name]."

You simply waved and smiled at her appreciation. You plopped down in exhaustion on the stands, trying to catch your breath.

After gym, you were already changed out of your gym clothes and waited outside for the boys to come out of the changing room to go into Trollmarket. They came out with urgency and a phone in Jim's hand.

"[Name]," Jim called, "We have to go now. We might know a way to track the goblins."

He explained the rest to you as the three of you raced to the bikes. Jim held onto the phone and used it as a GPS to guide him at the location.

Meanwhile, Toby was giving you a suspicious look.

"What?" you realized.

"Stop it," he simply said.

"Stop what," you asked again.

"Stop torturing yourself."

You stayed silent, not knowing how to respond. Your gaze was fixated on Jim's back as he hurried towards the location since you and Toby stayed a little behind. You, Toby, and Jim have known each other for the longest time and grew up together as best of friends. Unfortunately, as you grew up, so did your feelings for Jim, but you kept it to yourself since you didn't realize it until Jim was having eyes for Claire. You didn't blame him since she was a decent girl; nice, pretty, smart, and bilingual. It seems Toby has figured it out though and watching everything you do.

"Especially, earlier at the museum, what was all that about?" he added, "You were practically pushing Jimbo to her."

You sighed, "For a couple of reasons, he needed a pick-me-up and it gets kind of annoying when he can't even talk to her."

You remembered going on a school field trip to a local museum and it was a free walk around when Jim spotted Claire and Steve together. Steve was smooth talking Claire trying to seem more well intended, only to mock Jim when he caught his eye and behind Jim's back. Jim seemed defeated, and you hesitantly encouraged him to talk to her while offering to cause a distraction.

"Hey, Steve," you called.

"What is it, nerd?"

"What, I can't just talk to you?" you improvised.

"Not from the likes of you," he replied back with a contorted look, "or the other dweebs you hang out with."

"Well, that's a shame," you started. You tried to hide your growing smile knowing exactly how to distract him. "I was going to tell you about the statues I saw. Can't you just believe men were so shameless in sculpting topless women? But since you didn't want to talk—"

Before you could even finish, a flash of blue flew by your line of sight and Steve was no more. This gave the opportunity for Jim to talk to the girl he had his eyes on for the longest of times.

There would be times when you encouraged to talk something more interesting, continue the topic, or get closer to Jim, and he would follow your instructions. He went up to you and thanked you. You almost regretted doing so if it wasn't for the grin he gave you. The moment was ruined when Toby showed you a picture of, what you didn't know at the time, a goblin. The same reason why you, Toby, and Jim are rushing to the museum now.

"You're not going to tell him?" Toby quietly asked.

Once again, your gaze landed on the back of Jim longingly. You have longed thought about what your position is already and accepted it. The chance to confess your feelings. It could go one way or another. The worst-case scenario you played out in your head was rejection. A possibility of ruining your friendship with Jim was what you feared most. It could be just fear striking your heart but your mind reasoned that this was better than him completely ignoring and not talking to you. At times like at the museum, it hurts as a reminder that he would never look at you like the way he looks at Claire, but his smile that he gave to you reminds you of your position in his eyes and his happiness more important than anything else.

"I'm a friend in his eyes and only that, besides," you gestured to him with a sad smile, "he's happy and that's what matters."

Toby frowned at your sadness but didn't say anything else.

"I'm just a stepping stool for Romeo to his Juliet."

Word Count: 1322

Status: UNEDITED