Dreams Chapter 19

Sorry for the late update guys. -N

Past: 

" What's it like out there, papa? " Dorothea asks while trying to peek out the tiny window. She stands on her tippy toes, clutching onto the cold wall. She watches as a few soldiers walk by. A few snowflakes fall onto Dorothea's outstretched hand. She watches in wonder as the little snowflakes dissolve from the heat of her palm. 

" Cold. " The soldier responds while pulling off his heavy boots. 

" Do you like it out there? Is it pretty? " Dorothea watches with wide eyes as a big vehicle pulls into view. 

The Winter Soldier gets up at the sound of the truck and pulls Dorothea away from the window. He looks out of the window with narrowed eyes. He quickly fills the small gap with a piece of wood he'd cut out to fit the window. He sets down Dorothea on the bed, making sure to turn on the dim light on the ceiling. " It's different. " He sits in an old chair near the corner. " There are a lot of...people. In certain areas, more than others. I guess it's pretty. The mountains and sky. " 

" Wow. " Dorothea says with wonder. " Sounds cool. " 

" Yeah. " The soldier smiles slightly at the wonder in her tone. " There are a lot of things out there, cars, houses, buildings. " 

" Are they big? Are they like here? " Dorothea curls up slightly. 

" Some. Others have lots of windows and are shaped differently. " The soldier explains. " Usually all are pretty busy during the day. Not really at night. There are lots of lights. " 

" It sounds cool! " Dorothea sighs. " I wanna see it. " She pouts slightly. 

The soldier's heartaches slightly. She shouldn't be in here. She shouldn't have to live like this. She should be out there, out with a family. Out with people would take care of her and keep her safe. In here she'll never experience anything or live a life. In here she'll never get to be a child. 

" I know. " 

" I wish we could both go out there. " Dorothea looks back at the wood covered window. " Do you think we'll ever get to go outside? Together? Someday? " 

" Maybe. " 

" No. " Dorothea shakes her head. " We'll both make it out of here. I know we will. We'll get to ride in one of those car things you told me about. And we'll get to feel the snow under our feet. We'll get to look at the sunset and-and go to one of those big buildings with lots of windows! It'll be great. We'll get to do so much together, papa. " Dorothea grins. 

The soldier smiles softly at Dorothea, trying to be happy. But the sad reality is, it's not likely that either one will make it out of HYDRA in once piece. She'd probably end up taking the same fate as him. She'd be turned into a soldier, another play thing for HYDRA. When they were done with her, just like him, they'd dispose of both of them. This broke his heart, knowing she wouldn't get the live the life every child deserves, but he had no choice in the matter. If he could, he'd get her out of here, but he knows he wouldn't make it past the hundreds of guards hanging around the building. He couldn't do it alone. He wouldn't stand a chance. He may be good, but he's not that great. Not yet at least.