Chapter 1: A Surprise

It is 22 bby (just before the events of Episode II, Attack of the Clones), 15 years into Marquikise's Jedi training. He is now 20 years old.

____________________________________________

Episode 1

Heir of the Menace

Tensions rise as many systems are planning on defecting from the Republic. This pivotal time is marked with the sudden reappearance of a threat long thought gone. The Sith. Ten years prior, a Champion of Dark side powers, Darth Maul made his appearance, claiming the life of Master Qui-Gon Jinn of the Jedi Order.

The Senate cracks down on Bounty Hunters threatening the peace that has stood for Centuries. Among the list, a promising new bounty hunter. After several high ranking Republic officials are missing or dead with witnesses only noticing a cloaked figure fleeing the scene, this Bounty Hunter is near the top of the list. The Republic has issued a warning about this individual, some rumors calling them a Rouge Knight of the Jedi Order.

A promising padawan learner named Marquikise has risen to the top of his class and awaits the rank of a padawan. His dark and mysterious past leaves many Jedi council members wary of his unusually strong abilities.

Marquikise's POV

I spring up in my bed in a thick coat of sweat. My dream was my father again, his dark presence and unmatched Force powers leave a mark. His horrendous laugh alone is enough to send shivers down any spine. It was so real.

Many masters attempt to understand my past and help me along my Jedi path. Most give up at my ridiculous dreams or some darkness they think they sense in me. The exception is Yoda, despite the other masters, he seems to understand. At least humoring me with techniques to slow the dreams and seal of the darkness within me. Other Masters, however their doubts can not deny the dark impression that was made on me at a young age. Popular opinion concludes that I ran into a Dark side creature in my early youth. Despite their lack of faith in my stories, many Jedi have taken notice of my work ethic. I almost always enjoy learning and am near the top of my saber class. My lightsaber skills are unrivaled by most my age group and can match that of a Jedi Knight. I found a particular ease in combat.

A blinding ray of sun passes my eye, calling me out of my daydream. Hopping out of my bed, I check my com-link and notice a new message. I tap the com-link to play the message and Master Windu appears in front of me.

"Marquikise, the council requests your presence immediately. Please report to the council room by 8:00 this morning."

I throw my robes on, strap on my belt and slip into my cloak. I glance out at the bright morning sun before dashing out my door. As I pass a master giving me a quizzical look, I remember the rules and slow to a brisk walk. It is hard for me to contain the excitement. The meeting might be my promotion to Padawan. Anakin Skywalker, the chosen one, was promoted to the rank of Padawan at the age of 16. Perhaps this is my day.

I  find myself near the elevator to the council room. I press the button and wait for the lift to come down to the lobby floor. The door opens, revealing a Master of the Council waiting for me. Pausing a second to give him a small bow, I enter the elevator. The doors slide shut and the lights flicker off as the elevator starts its ascent. The Master speaks.

"The council will judge your worthiness to become a Padawan. If you are deemed worthy, you will be assigned a Master." I already knew this but the full realization of going out with a Master really starts to set in. "Mind your emotions young one."

We slow to a stop and the doors slide open. The once naturally lit room is pitch black. I can sense the already eleven Masters and the one in the elevator with me. The mood is unreadable at this point. A single green blade erupts from the other side of the room. Yoda's face is illuminated by the shimmering blade. It's light dimly illuminates that side of the circular room. Master Windu's voice comes from one side of Yoda.

"Step to the center of the room young Marquikise." I follow his instruction, finding the approximate center of the room.

"Find you to be an excellent student and Jedi, we have. To the rank of Padawan, we promote you." Yoda states. He adds a small smile. "Assigned you to Master Samuel we have. Meet him at the West hanger, you will. Awaiting your arrival, he is."

"Thank you Masters." I respectfully state while bowing.

About to turn on my heal to leave, Yoda leaves me with one more thought.

"Remember the book and the hammer, you should. The lessons from long ago, still apply. Similar to this, is your pairing."

I nod before leaving. Before I could comprehend what Yoda means, I find myself at the West hanger. I notice a middle aged Jedi staring blankly at a one-manned fighter ship. This must be my Master so I approach him.

"Excuse me, are you-"

"Oh, I'm sorry, I'm waiting for my new padawan. Would you know a Youngling named Marquikise?"

"Yes Master-"

"Do you know where he is?" He continues.

"Yes Master-"

"Where is he then?"

"Actually Master, he's me."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't recognize you. See, you were pointed out to me in between classes yesterday."

"That is not a problem Master." He takes a moment to think.

"You need a weapon worthy of a Jedi. We must build your lightsaber."

"Yes, Master."

—————