8 - Submitting to Interrogations

Start from the beginning

"Need I remind you we are not in a pub. This is an infirmary, and some of your mates need to rest."

Hugo grimaced as he reined in his mirth. "You are so right, Matron. I apologize for my outburst. Though, it has been an age since we have had something to laugh about."

The men agreed with mute nods as they slunk beneath their linens. As for the matron, the hard lines of her mouth softened, and her hands slipped from her hips. "I expect it has. Just try to have your outbursts quietly."

She returned to her station and Hugo faced Jules and me, propping his chin in his hands. "So, where were we? Oh, yes. You were telling Jules how hard he needs to work to make you and the whole population of English females happy."

Jules sent his friend a hearty scowl. "Play time's over. Give us moment, will you?"

Hugo offered a theatrical eye roll worthy of an insulted royal, but I caught the subtle smile beneath his pout as he reclined into his pillow. Jules placed his hand on mine, causing my senses to collide beneath my skin.

"Why are you really here, Rose?"

My gaze dropped to his fingers, and a nervous buzz started up, distracting me from his inquiry. Why was I here...really? A time or two I thought it was a decision made too hastily but could not undo without embarrassing recourse. On the face of it, the idea seemed preposterous for a well-to-do courtesan to chase across the sea after a singular man whom she had only just met.

The worst of it was, I still felt unprepared to become his wife. What kind of damage had I caused in this endeavor? Not only for myself, but for my staff, my benefactors and, most assuredly, for Jules?

He looked ready to prompt me again when I lifted my gaze to meet his searching eyes. "I suppose I have come to learn what love feels like. And if, indeed, that is the driving force behind my mind's preoccupation with you. It was quite bothersome after you left. And, to a great degree, before that."

"Indeed?" An easy smile came to him at my admission of weakness. I wanted to blame it on the delirium, but he appeared quite sane. "You had thoughts of me before I left London? When we were apart, I presume?"

"You presume correctly."

"When did these thoughts occur? During your waking hours? In your dreams?"

Of course, he would enquire about such nonsense. He enjoyed provoking me. "Both, if you must know."

"Oh, I must. And when I commanded your thoughts, what were we doing? Speaking? Dancing? Bagging cocks in the countryside?"

His persistence had me straightening my back, and I inhaled deeply to calm my nerves. I glanced back at his hand, which had not moved from its position over mine. "I cannot recall the exact details of these thoughts, Captain. The important bit is that they would not abate even after you left London. They had me distracted and confused."

"Distracted from what? Focusing on the earl's noble..."

"Jules, please."

He held his tongue. He may have been biting it, although I could not tell. "How is the earl? I expect he was properly put out when you left London on a navy vessel. I'm surprised he didn't send a foot guard to attend you at sea."

"Really. Must you be so jealous? The earl is like any other royal wishing to take on a courtesan."

He let go a laugh, not caring who heard him, but he wore a sober expression. "I know that is not true. And so do you."

"What do you mean?"

"Have you forgotten who my sister is courting?"

Blast. He didn't need to explain himself. I knew that Alice and Lord Kingsley exchanged missives daily. Why couldn't people keep their bloody mouths shut?