13. you make me feel safe

Start from the beginning

"You're right." Malia answered.

The two sat in silence for a while, the only sound being the soft ticking of the clock hanging high up on the wall.

Letting out a shivered breath, the cold started to get to Malia, and she hugged her chest tightly.

"Is the cold bothering you?" The boy asked, breaking the awkward silence.

"N-Not really." Malia stuttered.

Draco raised his eyebrow at the girl, not convinced at all.

"I'm a little disappointed. Normally you're a good liar, Malia. " He said quietly, pulling the blankets up for her. "Come over here, it's warmer."

Malia looked at him in the eyes briefly, hesitating for a moment before moving closer to him and positioning herself under the covers. She then moved her body against his and rested her head on his chest.

This was the closest the two had ever been.

After a few minutes of comfortable silence, Draco finally asked, "Why me?"

"Hm?" Malia hummed.

"Why me?" Draco repeated, this time more clearly. "Like, out of anywhere you could've gone, you chose to come here. Why?"

"I don't know..." Malia answered honestly, looking down at the dark, silky sheets. "I guess it's because you make me feel sort of...safe."

After hearing her reply, Draco stared at her in disbelief, trying to comprehend what she had just told him.

"Draco?" Malia asked, lifting her head whilst he was lost in thought. "Are you okay?"

Draco snapped out of his thoughts and cleared his throat, "Yeah...I'm okay."

Nodding, Malia relaxed and let her head fall back down on his chest.

She could tell Draco was still shocked after what she said. After all, she was shocked, too. But, she had meant it. Of all people, Draco Malfoy was the only one who truly felt her pain. He was the only one who understood. And that made her feel a sense of comfort that nobody else could have given her.

The girl tried her best to keep her eyes open, but it was difficult, she was so comfortable. With the softness of the sheets around her and the warmth of her friend's body against hers, her eyes began to drift closed.

"I think I'm gonna go to sleep," Malia mumbled, nuzzling her head into his neck.

"That's okay, get some sleep." Draco whispered. "I'll be here when you wake up."

That was the last thing Malia heard before shutting her eyes, only to find that the faces she had once seen weren't there anymore. She was to distracted by the boy beside her that she had completely forgotten. Draco's breaths were even and calming, the expression on his face no longer tense, but relaxed.

The only thing Malia Avery remembered before falling asleep was the scent of citrus cologne.

───────────────

Malia Avery woke up with the sound of muttered words and a heartbeat against her ear. She felt two arms strongly held around her torso and someone's breath hitting lightly the top of her head.

She groaned and opened her eyes slowly, only to find Draco Malfoy looking down at her. Malia watched the boy carefully as the pale skin on his cheeks turned a light shade of pink.

Draco cleared his throat and whispered, "Erm...did you sleep okay?"

"Yes, I did." Malia answered in a groggy tone, lifting up a bit.

For a few seconds, the girl felt confused, unsure of where she was. Then, it all came back to her. She looked around the room, noticing the sun peaking through the dark curtains, "What time is it?"

Sitting up a bit, Draco checked the clock, "It's six in the morning."

The girl completely lost track of time. It turns out she had slept for a while.

"I should..." Malia trailed, shaking her head whilst snapping herself out of her thoughts. "I should get going. The sun is beginning to rise and my parents are going to wonder where I am."

Nodding, Draco felt the girl pull away from him, but he almost wished she hadn't.

Pulling the sheets off of her, Malia swung her legs off the bed and let her feet meet the cold floor. Slipping on her shoes, she felt somewhat calmer than she had before she arrived.

Walking over to the bedroom door, Malia Avery felt his gaze on her. She then reached for the handle, but just before opening it, she paused and looked back over her shoulder at the boy.

"Merry Christmas, Draco," she whispered.

Draco Malfoy felt his lips curve up into a slight smile, nodding once before replying, "Merry Christmas, Malia."