21. the astronomy tower

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

     IT WAS NEARING 10:00 PM when the students of Hogwarts returned to their dormitories, the halls beginning to grow abnormally quiet

     IT WAS NEARING 10:00 PM when the students of Hogwarts returned to their dormitories, the halls beginning to grow abnormally quiet. Malia expected that everyone was comfortably relaxed in their dorms, hanging out with friends, doing normal teenage things on a Saturday night. No one knew what was coming or what to expect. As for Malia and Draco, they knew exactly what was coming. Standing in the Room of Requirement, the two spent the past hour discussing the final plan before it was carried out.

     Running his fingers over the darkened wood of the Vanishing Cabinet, Draco let out a shaky breath and announced, "It's almost time."

     "We should go," Malia replied, taking a few steps back towards the door. "I expect they'll be arriving soon."

     Shaking his head, Draco suddenly admitted, "I'm scared, Mal."

     There was a brief moment of silence, the room growing so quiet that they could almost hear each others heartbeats. Malia's eyes softened at his words. It was no secret that Draco was often closed off — there weren't many people he confided in. Malia was an exception. She always had been.

     "Don't be scared," Malia spoke softly, walking forward and stopping just inches away from the boy. "I'm right here."

     Draco leaned forward, pressing his forehead against hers. Closing his eyes, he took in a deep breath, "I don't know what I would do without you. If you weren't here..."

     "You'll never have to worry about that," Malia replied, lifting her head and looking into his eyes. "I told you I'd never leave. I meant it."

     Malia made that promise to Draco, and she meant to keep it. No matter what, she knew she would never leave him.

───────────────

     From the moment they stepped into the Astronomy Tower, time seemed to move in slow motion. Standing in the right hand corner, Malia Avery watched as Draco slowly moved across the room, not daring to take his eyes off the Headmaster.

     "Good evening," Dumbledore began, eyeing the two teenagers. "What brings you two out on such a fine spring evening?"

     Crossing her arms over her chest, Malia answered, "I think you know exactly why we're here."

     Standing tall with his wand in hand, Draco's eyes fixated on the man standing before him, "Who else is here? We heard you talking."

     "I often talk aloud to myself. I find it extraordinarily useful. That which sounds sane at a whisper can seem utterly mad when said for all the world to hear..."

     "Don't listen to him, he's stalling you, Draco." Malia whispered, narrowing her eyes at the man.

     "Smart girl," Dumbledore noted, glancing once at her before turning back to the boy. "Let me just say, you are not an assassin, Draco."