13. you make me feel safe

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

     THAT NIGHT, DRACO MALFOY lay awake, staring up at his ceiling

     THAT NIGHT, DRACO MALFOY lay awake, staring up at his ceiling. No matter how hard he tried, he just couldn't seem to fall asleep. Not after what had happened that night. Trying his best to push the horrible thoughts aside, his mind began to wander off, thinking about the spells he could try that would fix the vanishing cabinet when they returned to Hogwarts after break.

The boy was too caught up in his own thoughts that he hadn't noticed the door to his room cracked slightly open.

"Draco?" A female voice whispered.

Abruptly sitting up, Draco's eyes caught Malia Avery in his gaze, seeing her silhouette standing at his doorway.

"Malia?" Draco asked, rubbing his eyes.

"Yeah, it's me."

The boy paused, looking at the clock beside him and noticing the time. "It's late. Shouldn't you be asleep?"

"Trust me, I've tried." Malia felt her heart sink, the color draining from her face as she answered, "I just don't want to be alone right now."

Draco blinked, pausing for a moment before replying, "Well, I haven't gotten much sleep either. Do you want to come in?"

Malia nodded lightly, pushing the door fully open. It was then the girl met with an unexpected wave of cold, causing her to shiver. She almost commented on it, but instead she decided to stay quiet.

As she approached, Draco's gaze stayed glued on her, watching as she quietly moved across the room, taking a seat on his bed.

Being so close to him, Malia could clearly see the boy at his most distressed state. He had dark bags under his bloodshot eyes, not from crying, but due to the lack of sleep.

"You know, normal people would sleep in on Christmas morning," The boy continued.

"Yeah, well..." Malia trailed off, sighing. "Normal people wouldn't burn down an innocent family's home the night before."

"You're still thinking about that?" Draco asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

"How couldn't I?" Malia replied. "Every time I try to fall asleep, I see..."

"You see what?"

Malia blinked, "...I see their faces."

Draco leaned forward, placing a hand on her knee, "You can't let it get to you, Malia. There is no way we'll be able to pull this off if we let regret and guilt take over. We have to forget about it. We don't have a choice."

Malia had seen and done things that made her sick to think of, and there would be no escape from them. But, no matter how much she hated it, the boy was right. She couldn't let it get to her, she didn't have a choice.