Chapter 20

A week before Christmas and I still hadn't talked to Two-Bit. Marilyn, Suzie, Candy and Evie kept asking me about it... then scolding me when I said I hadn't.

Ponyboy had kinda calmed down after the whole thing with the car. He was still a little jumpy when he went to the DX or into town, but one of us was always with him. Plus the Shepard's and us were all on good terms... for the moment at least. So they'd help if they were around.

Two-Bit, Ponyboy and me had been let out for Christmas break. Two-Bit was at work, Steve and Sodapop were at work, Darry was at work. Evie and Candy both had waitressing jobs at the Dingo. Marilyn worked at the town library. Suzie was in Tennessee for the holidays with her family. Long story short- Ponyboy and me were sitting bored out of our minds sitting on his couch.

I applied for a job at the Dingo as a waitress with Evie and Candy, but the manager said they wouldn't tell me if I got it or not till after the New Year- so one call me lazy. I didn't really wanna work there, but I needed a job. The uniforms were degrading; when I would bend over, it would most likely expose my behind and my chest.

"I know it's cold out but can we please go out somewhere?" I asked hopefully.

Ponyboy rolled his eyes and chuckled a bit,"Fine, we can go out."

I clapped my hands and grinned like a little girl who had gotten a new doll.

"No offense, but sometimes I think you're five years old," he teased.

I stuck my tongue out at him but ended up nearly laughing my head off.

We both put on a jacket and left the house. I wasn't kidding when I said it was cold out. The only places that we could go to that we're as cold as outside was to the Dingo and maybe the record store that had just opened up in town. "Ponyboy, can I ask ya something?" I asked as we walked into the Dingo.

We got to a booth. "Sure, what's going on?" he asked as we sat on both sides of the booth.

I bit my lip. "Are you nervous about the war?"

He shrugged a bit. "Kinda... I mean, not too much... I don't know, I guess... why?"

I sighed. "I'm scared to death."

"Why are you scared?"

"Cause anybody could get drafted in the blink of an eye," I snapped my fingers,"Just like that."

"Oh... Suzie was telling me you were nervous that Two-Bit could get drafted."

"What's she told you?"

"Um... well that both you and him and nervous about the whole thing... but even if he does, you won't be alone. We'll all be here for you."

"I know, but... this always happens." My voice was quiet.

He gave a confused look,"What happens?"

"Everything or everyone I love gets taken away from me one way or another, right out from under me like how people rip a tablecloth from under silverware."

"You're talking like it already happened, that's part of the problem."

I sighed,"Im sorry... it's just, you know how I am when I'm scared."

He nodded. "Look, I think you're worrying more than you should be. And whatever happens to whoever, we'll all help each other through it."

After we left the Dingo we decided to go to that new record store. Lots of those places were opening lately, at least in our neighborhood. The music was changing along with the style and so was the mind set that people had. New groups were coming out singing about such weird things.