Chapter 25

again- typing on laptop! please excuse any major mistakes!

I walked up the steps of the school with Candy, Ponyboy, Evie and Suzie. Suzie's parents had decided to let her start walking to school with us. Mostly cause Ponyboy would be there and they liked him. Although,  I kinda felt bad for him. Now when we would walk to school, he would be the only boy- unless Sodapop would come to walk Candy, or Steve with Evie, though they probably wouldn't considering their boss had changed the hours and wanted the two of them to get there earlier. Pony would be the only boy walking with us- no pun intended with his name. Anyway, he'd be the only boy and I really hoped he wouldn't get teased for walking around with a bunch of girls other than his girlfriend.

"Why does it have to get so damn cold?" Evie complained when we got inside the school.

Ponyboy started to answer to answer her question.

"Pony, if you give me one of those literal science answers you learned in class, you'll never be able to give another one again,' Evie snapped at him and he quickly shut his mouth.

"Ok, what bit you in the behind?" I asked, confused by her hostility.

"Nothing..." she snapped again and walked off, more like stormed off.

We all gave each other weird looks. "What's her problem?" Ponyboy asked quietly, making sure she wasn't around to hear him.

Candy sighed a bit,"Your brother told me that her and Steve were having problems."

"Them?!" Suzie nearly yelled, shocked by the answer,"I thought those two would always be together and never have problems!"

The bell rang saying it was time for everyone to head to their first class. Ponyboy and Suzie waved goodbye as they headed to their homeroom. "Soda told me what's really going on between them," Candy said as we headed to homeroom.

"How does he know?" I asked her.

"Steve's his best friend and tells him everything... the problem they're having is that Evie might be pregnant." Her voice was quiet and she gave a worried look.

My eyes widened a bit. "Is she sure she is? And is it Steve's?"

She shook her head,"She's not one-hundred percent sure, but it would be his even if she is."

"Why doesn't she just take a pregnancy test?"

"Well, she's coming over my house this weekend and I was gonna suggest that to her... maybe you should come too."

I nodded. "Yeah, of course. Will she be mad you told me?"

She shrugged as we got into the classroom,"We'll find that out then."

The school day went by slowly. So slow that I couldn't wait to get to work. Rusty and I worked out a schedule that after school during the week, I would be at the bodyshop working the fromnt desk from 3:30 to 5:30, and on the weekends it would be from 10 in the morning till 12:30 in the afternoon. I didn't have as many hours as everyone else who worked there cause I was still in school at seventeen, while the second youngest person working there was nineteen yaers old and didn't go to college.

I didn't have a jumpsuit type uniform like everyone else who worked there. Rusty had bought a blue button up shirt with the emblem of the garage on the right-hand side, a pocket on the left and "Rain" stitched onto the pocket with red letters. I tied the edges a little under the top edge of my jeans since it was too big. Rusty said since he forgot to ask my shirt size when he was buying stuff for the shop, he "bought a real big one" as he said.

I was straightening out the paers scattered all over the desk. it looked like a tornado hit thorugh the desk since no one really worked the desk. The bell hooked up to the door rang and a guy with greased-back dirty blonde hair, brown eyes and broad shoulders walked in. Obviously another Greaser. He was nearly Darry's height. I'd be lying if I didn't find the guy somewhat attractive, but he did nothing for me. Nothing like how most girls would "get butterflies" when they first saw hime or whatever, I didn't find him appealing in any way, shape or form.