Special Chapter: Tales From A Sunny Place

Author's note:

oh hello, hello! thank you so much for reading the story thus far!!

this next chapter is a special, long one. I like to think all three of my Haikyuu fanfics exist in the same kind of AU I created, starting with I'll Carry Your Weight. This book is meant to be somewhat of a spinoff / sequel to that story, although it can completely stand on it's own.

If you haven't read I'll Carry Your Weight, it totally doesn't matter and you're not losing anything from this story! That book follows Kuroo and Kenma's relationship to high school.

I wanted to write a mid book chapter in The Man Who Ran Off With The Moon that covers what Kenma has been doing in Los Angeles partially as a nod to I'll Carry Your Weight, partially as an interesting experience, and partially because I live in LA and I was very enamored with the idea of Kenma in my city.

Think of this chapter as like a mid season OVA. An extra story that isn't necessary, but it's fun, and it will only add to the understanding of the side characters in this book. You can totally skip it, if you want, the rest of what happens is not affected by the information here. This chapter totally stands alone. All other chapters will be back to your regularly scheduled programming!

It's written in first person, from Kenma's perspective.

Thank you for your support!
——————————————————————

I sat on the stair landing, smelling like cleaning supplies.

Even though a salon was perfectly affordable to me now, I simply liked dyeing my own hair. It had been a nice ritual in my life since high school, one that I was even more enthusiastic about now that I had Kuroo to help me. I watched as my husband- my husband, my husband. The term made me so self conscious. I'd blush like a kid if I even so much thought it.

There's a lot of truth to that old saying that you're supposed to marry your best friend.

You have to find someone that thinks better of you than you do of yourself, someone who can make you laugh in that loud kind of way reserved for only those you trust to hear. Marry a funny person. Marry someone you can cry with. Marry someone who is infinitely passionate, but supports you in your own goals. If you have the opportunity, marry the guy who finds gross, sweaty teenage you as beautiful as the slightly less gross, non sweaty adult you.

Life doesn't have a lot of cheat codes for happiness. The only one I know of is Kuroo.

I turned the silver wedding band on my finger and watched as he fought Tsukishima, trying to get the blonde to allow him to carry the singular moving box he had with him. Tsukishima ignored him and trudged on to our garage apartment, his head held high. I sighed. The timer of my phone went off. I went back to the bathroom, turning on the shower, peeling the plastic processing bag off my head. The toner clung to my hair in sticky, crusty chunks. Ek. I slowly combed it out under the warm water.

"Kenma!", Kuroo yelled through the door.

"What?"

"Tsukishima's all settled into the apartment."

I really, really could not hear him over the shower, "WHAT?"

"I said," he huffed, opting to just open the door, "He's all settled into the apartment."

I nodded, aggressively trying to shampoo out the product. "Cool."

Kuroo looked at me for a moment. I could barely make out his outline through the steamy glass, but I could feel his gaze on me, filling me with a kind of warmth. I rubbed at the condensation, making a small window in the mist to look back at him. Kuroo beamed as I drew a little heart to go with it.