Chapter 2

The morning rose and as they walked out of the tunnel, the cool light bathed in the air. Blinking frantically to clear the dark splodges from her eyes, Kestrel slid off Moon. Without looking up, she patted Moon, who was rigid and staring off to the distance.

"Hey, Kestrel." Henrik said.

"Hmm?" Kestrel looked up.

A giant castle-like building stood between two hills. It had six looming turrets and numerous large wooden doors. Laying on one side of the roof was a giant, blue and silver Dragon which snored peacefully. The low rumbling sound stretched far into the ground around it. It was surrounded by enormous trees, each covered with rope bridges and small huts, intertwined with the castle. Gigantic waterfalls cascaded off and around one side of the building. Huge purple and orange flames were crammed in metal orbs and were strung around the building, spreading a warm glow across the pale grey stones.

There were several smaller castle-like buildings around it and a river flowed under the buildings, covered with clear glass and illuminated with a golden light. The buildings seemed to stick out of the landscape but also blend in. There were also several large huts and cabins with plaques on the walls naming the block. To her left was the Science block, it had a sort of sheen and it merged into the forest.

Kestrel glanced to her right and through bricked arches were massive stables containing what seemed to be Hippogriffs and even Dragons! Paths stretched in all directions with small wooden signposts and a board displaying a map.

It wasn't like any school Kestrel had ever seen, that was for sure.

"WELCOME TO SCHOOL MOONDOOR!" Henrik announced, beaming at Kestrel's astonished freckled face.

*****

Kestrel followed Henrik into the main entrance, and they were greeted by the headmaster. He looked about thirty and was tall. He had dark brown spiky hair and deep brown eyes. He wore a blue suit and red tie, with smart black shoes and black trousers.

"Hello Henrik and Henrik's friend. I am Mr Clay, but you can call me David and I am the headteacher for this school. I am Air and Magic, and this is my Soul Zooks." A small, emerald-green dragon yipped and settled on his shoulder. "What is your name?" he asked Kestrel.

"Err, I'm Kestrel." said Kestrel. She thought it was strange to refer to a teacher by their first name, but then again, she'd never been to a magical school before.

"If you follow me into the great hall, we can sort you out for school, Kestrel."

David smiled and opened the large wooden door which led into a vast, brightly lit room.

It had small griffins sleeping in the metal rafters and a massive globe hung, suspended in the centre of the ceiling, illuminating the room. There were modern counters along the edge of the room, separated by chrome doors leading out. Metal and glass torches with purple flames were scattered on the walls and four, large, marble tables ran along the hall. Each of these tables looked like it could seat fifty.

"Here. You'll meet your classmates in your common room. Any questions?" David handed over a dark blue shirt with a golden crest displaying a full moon sided by two crescent moons.

Kestrel took the uniform, "No questions."

Henrik smiled led Kestrel through the dark blue door to the side of the hall.

*****

Kestrel followed their Henrik through the winding staircase and up to a large room, dimly lit by little Dragons' nests, which they laced with small glowing green crystals.