023 | the sauna test

Tuesday, 2nd June, 1985

SHE WOKE UP TO SOMEONE
jabbering on the radio about some nonsense.

"Code red," the voice said and Bea sighed, sitting up to pull the covers over her body and picking up the supercom that rested on the bedside table.

"Don't get up," Steve said groggily, pulling his arm over her waist and tugging her back into bed. She laughed to herself before trying to escape Steve's sleepy grip.

"Steve, I need to turn it off," she said and he opened one eye, sighing before letting her go.

"Go away Lucas, over and out" she said, turning it off and putting it on the table.

She sat up, pulling his shirt over hers and Steve looked at her annoyed.

"You have to get to work," Bea said as she looked at the clock.

She stood up and he watched as she pulled her clothes over herself, getting ready for a casual day hanging with Steve at his job.

"Fine," he said, getting dressed.

"I'll see you in five," she said as she put one leg out of the window.

"Why don't you just walk downstairs with me? I don't think my parents will be awake" Steve asked, leaning against the wall and she sighed, stepping back into the room.

"Okay, but I'm not making small talk. They don't like me sleeping over," she said and he wrapped an arm round her waist as she hesitated at the door. Steve slung her over his shoulder and Bea giggled to herself.

"Nice view," he said as he carried her down the stairs.

"I don't have a bad view myself," she said and he laughed before stopping when he saw his mum in the kitchen.

He helped her down and the two stood awkwardly staring at his mum.

"Morning Bea," his mum said and Bea smiled at her.

"Morning Mrs Harrington, we were just heading out to work," she said and his mum smiled between the two as she saw Steve's hand snaked around her waist.

"Okay, have a good day you two, and Steve, your dad is coming home tonight," she said and Steve sighed.

"See you later mum," he said, ignoring her last comment before the two walked outside and sat in his car.

Bea sighed, placing a hand on his hand that rested on the steering wheel.

"You know that you can stay at mine tonight if you don't want to go back," she said and he smiled at her.

"I love you," he said and Bea smiled at him, placing a kiss on his cheek before sitting back down.

"I love you too Steve," she said and they drove off to work where Dustin and Robin were already talking.