Chapter 2 - Drink Up Me Hearties

Strong arms grabbed Will’s as he was hoisted onto the deck but he lost his footing last minute and toppled headfirst into a disgruntled pirate. They crashed to the floor and he heard Anamaria stifle a snigger as he flushed profusely, clambering up quickly.

“Don’t worry boy, you’ll find your sea legs soon enough,” Anamaria chuckled. “Welcome to my ship. This is my crew.” She gestured to the straggled array of sailors, many of whom gave mock salutes or ridiculously flamboyant bows. “Idiots the lot of them,” she chuckled, “but good, loyal men and woman.”

A man with bright red hair tied back in a black ribbon stepped forward and offered his hand to Will. Will shook it, “William Turner.”

“First mate Billy Daniels,” the man replied. His eyes sparked and a playful smile twisted the corners of his mouth. Will grinned, he’d seen Billy’s type in the taverns back home. Stay on his good side and he’d be a friend for life but anger him and the results would not be pleasant. The rest of the crew stepped up to introduce themselves and Will saw that Anamaria was indeed not the only woman on board.

“Red Lizzy, but the boys call me Red.” She had tan skin and frizzy brown hair and Will couldn’t see any reason for the nickname until Billy shouted up from the helm, “aye, cos she’s fiery like the devil!” Lizzy gave him a wicked grin and stepped back as more crew mates surged forwards, eager to assess the new comer. Soon Will’s head was damn near exploding with names and he retreated to the relative safety of Anamaria’s shadow.

“A’right you lot,” she barked, command easy in her voice. “Leave poor William alone. We’ve got a destination so set to and sail you nutters. We’ll have a few days in Tortuga to get some rest if the thought of seeing lovely Mr Jack ain’t enough to motivate ya.” There was a teasing edge to her voice and the ship’s carpenter-come-surgeon, Sam Hopper, visibly grumbled. “Mr Hopper had a bit of an altercation with our Jack last time they met,” Anamaria confided to Will. “I think there was a girl and a lot of gold involved but he can suck it up and deal with it.” She grinned at Will, her eyes glinting in the darkness. “Ready to sail the high seas Mr Turner?”

Will gave a determined nod. He had never been more ready for anything in his life.

ooOOoo

Or maybe not. Despite Billy’s assurance that he would soon get used to the rocking and rolling of the ship he couldn’t yet stand the constant swaying. Seasickness was hell and Billy grimaced in sympathy as Will made yet another dash to empty his guts up over the side of the ship. The first mate clapped a heavy hand on his shoulder, almost causing Will’s weak knees to give way.

“Give it time lad,” he smiled, “happens to the best of us.” Will grimaced as the older man wandered off to attend to his duties. That was alright for him to say, Billy had been sailing since he was a boy. Looking up from his almost permanent position over the bulwarks Will caught sight of a flash of blonde hair and a blue shirt. Robin, the ship’s young powder monkey, dubbed Little Robin by the crew, was sitting on a spare coil of rope watching him curiously. Will waved a hand in greeting at the boy, who ventured forward slyly.

“Hey Robin, you alright there?” Will asked. Robin nodded but didn’t say anything, not that Will expected him to. According to Anamaria the twelve year old boy had turned up one day and barely said a word since then. He had been keen to help on-board the ship and had become extremely violent when they tried to get him to return to land so they let him stay. Will hadn’t heard him speak since his arrival and so was shocked when he heard the quiet words, “this will help with the sickness.” Robin was holding out some kind of root towards him.