10

You flopped on the couch in the living room, book in hand. It was one of the rare days that you didn't have late class or work, and you intended to spend your evening just enjoying yourself in the quiet comfort of the apartment. It had been a while since you had just had a day for yourself, and you were looking forward to it.

As you turned a page in your book, you could hear Nieve and Reyes getting ready for another night out in the bathroom. 

"Hand me the eyeliner, love..."

"Trade you for the eyeshadow..."

You smiled to yourself. The background noise of Nieve and Reyes' realtionship was a comfort to you. It was the kind of thing that made you smile, happy that your cousin had found someone to love her unconditionally, and someone that she could love back. You wanted that. 

The back of your mind told you that you wanted that with Alex. 

You pushed the thought from your mind before you would start blushing and refocused on the novel in your hands. Not for long though, because soon enough you felt Nieve drape herself over the side of the couch. 

"Are you doing anything tonight?" She asked. 

"I was planning on taking a bath." You said, leaning your head back against the arm of the sofa. 

"So you're not working?" She clarified. 

"Nope." You said.

"Good." Nieve grabbed you by the shoulder and lifted you off the couch. "You're coming out with us tonight then."

"Hold on-" You said, stumbling to your feet. 

Nieve was a force of nature though, whisking you into her bedroom. She headed to the closet, pulling out various different sheer and shimmering tops, along with tight dark pants. "These will fit, right?" She asked, shoving a few clothing items into your arms. 

You looked at Nieve's outfit - a loose black sheer top that showed a black bra underneath and ripped black jeans. Her makeup was dark and smoky, and she looked like some kind of sexy enigma. The clothes she had given you fell under that category as well. 

You dropped them on the floor. "I'll come with you, but I'm picking what I wear."

Nieve clapped, grinning. "Hurry hurry then, we have to go soon!" She said.

You headed across the hall to your room, sorting through your own clothes until you found something acceptable. You hurried into the bathroom the change quickly, adding some eyeliner to the look, just for a splash of something a little darker and more in tune with how Nieve had been dressed. 

She and Reyes were waiting for you by the door when you emerged. 

Nieve squealed when she saw you. "Ah, I'm so excited you're coming with us babe!" She said, opening the door for Reyes. "Here, hold this while I grab my bag-"

It was a flurry of up and down to load all the band equipment into the back of Nieve's car, and as you squeezed into the backseat beside an amp, a sense of deja vu came over you. It was just like the ride from the airport when you had first arrived, squished into the backseat. 

Nieve plopped into the front seat. "Babe, you are going to love Reyes' band, they are just amazing."

"I'm sure." You said, holding onto the handle on the door as Nieve tore out of her parking space. 

The ride to the bar was short enough - only about fifteen minutes. The place looked cozy when Nieve parked the car - it was a short wooden building with an outdoor area, all strung with small lights, giving the place a warm feel.

Getting out of the car, you grabbed the amp you had been sitting next to and followed Reyes and Nieve inside. 

The interior of the place was just as cozy looking as the outside, and Reyes' bandmates were already setting up on the small area section off as the stage. You dropped off you amp, introduced yourself, and settled in to a small table with Nieve. 

She order drinks for the both of you, her eyes never leaving Reyes as they set up.

"You really like them don't you." You said, smiling as you followed her gaze. 

"Of course I do." She said. "How could I not?"

You smiled again, a little wistful. Nieve must have notcied because she grinned, clinking the edge of her glass against yours to call your attention. "You ever going to tell me about that boy you keep texting?"

You laughed a little, not quitw sure what to say. It didnt matter though, because Reye's band had finished setting up and were beginning to play, warming up to the crowd. Nieve's attention was immediately drawn away to the stage, watching her partner play. 

Reyes' band actually as really good. If you had to try and describe their sound, it was almost like a mix of Latin and indie music. It was strange at first, but as you listened more, you actually found that you liked it.

Nieve kept the drinks coming, and soon enough, you were pleasantly buzzed, a loose happy feeling hovering in the air around you. Watching Nieve sing along to all the bands songs and cheer for her partner made you smile. 

It also made your mind jump to Alex at every turn. 

You pulled out your phone opening your text thread with him. 

hi :)

He texted back almost immediatley.

hi :))

You giggled to yourself, the buzz of alcohol in your veins making your feelings for Alex all the more potent. 

i rlly want to kiss u rn

like rlly rlly

like maybe u should send me ur addres so i can come see u

The typing bubble popped up and disappeared three times before you got a response. 

im flattered but like,,, u sure ur not drunk or anything??

You giggled to yourself, tapping back a response.

maybe a little

doesnt make my request invalid tho ;))

His response came back quicker this time. 

u with ur cousin?

You answered quickly. 

yeah

The typing bubble appeared and disappeared. It reappeared, and then a message came through. 

u still feel the same way tomorrow and we'll see abt it

You giggled, clutching your phone to your chest. Nieve glanced over, raising an eyebrow in question. 

"He's so perfect Nieve." You said in English, your tipsiness stealing the Spanish from you. 

Nieve just laughed, and laced your fingers together with hers.