Chapter 22: Financially Unattractive

Start from the beginning

I laugh. "I'm glad, thanks Axel."

He holds up his hands. "Don't thank me, thank Chantelle Bélanger."

****

Tonight was the night. I couldn't argue that I wasn't excited, because If I'm being honest I have been looking forward to this all week. Who wouldn't want to go to a masquerade ball in a beautiful dress that was one of a kind? This was a once in a lifetime experience for me, and I sure as hell wasn't going to waste it telling myself this was strictly business.

"Teagan!" my mom calls from downstairs. "I think Alec's car is out front! Why don't you tell him to come in?"

Yeah I didn't think so. I don't think my mom or dad would be very happy to find Theodore Bartholomew standing on the other side of the door.

"That's okay, we're running a little late anyway!" I call as I slip on my shoes and trot down the steps. My hair was in a bun with braids and a few small curls grazing my shoulders, and my golden mask was in my hand. I still wanted somewhat of my vision, and my long hair wasn't going to give me it. Besides, my mother was great with hair.

I pause down the steps, because my parents are there waiting for me with giant smiles on their faces.

"Teagan! You look gorgeous!" my mom says holding a hand to her heart.

"You look absolutely stunning, darling." my dad says before he walks over to hug me.

"Thanks mom," I look over his shoulder. Then when I pull back I smile at my dad. "Thanks dad."

"You better get going," my mom rushes on and hands me a small clutch. "I put some extra money in there, just in case you need it."

"And don't let that Alec boy try anything. If he disrespects you in any way I will have a stern talk with him." That's my dad, using words instead of violence.

"Okay, got it." I give him a thumbs up.

I walk out the door and head out to find a limo waiting for me. I walk over to it as a man opens a door for me.

"Thank you," I say to him and he gives me a nod.

Julia and Theo are already in the car, and I see Theo smirking at me. "You look stunning as always."

"Thanks," I roll my eyes. "Not too bad yourself."

"Oh my, did you just give me a compliment, Teagan?"

I don't answer as I look over at Julia. She is wearing a light pink ball gown, and I'm very happy I didn't listen to Kat. Julia would probably demand I change.

"We get the full treatment, huh?" I ask Theo as we drive out of my neighborhood.

"Of course." Theo smirks. "I am not showing up at this ball in a car I had to drive myself."

"God forbid." I say dramatically and he gives me an annoyed look.

Our limo pulls up to the large mansion that is hosting the ball thirty minutes later. Women in beautiful dresses and masks that match, litter the entrance.

"How are we supposed to know which friend is which? Everyone is wearing a mask." Julia asks as she slips her's on.

"I have the pictures of what masks they are wearing. We each are assigned to one." Theo pulls out his phone and shows the first picture of a man with a royal blue mask and long nose to Julia. "You have to find this one, and discreetly record him admitting to seeing them together."

"How hard could it possibly be." She pushes up her boobs and fluffs up her blond hair.

Theo switches the picture on his phone to show me a mask that looks like it only half covers the face. It was red and white. It couldn't be that difficult could it?