Chapter 29: Focus

Apparently, the last saturday of spring break was supposed to be wild. Especially for seniors. I had no knowledge of this, so I thought I was going to be lonely just sitting at home watching Netflix. How pathetic was that? I came to realize that the only reason I was invited to parties was because of Erin. She was the popular one. Not me.

So that's what I do for a good handful of hours. It's three in the afternoon and I've been sitting on my couch watching The Walking Dead since ten in the morning.

My phone dings beside me and I'm so shocked by the noise I jump a little. I look down to see that it was Kat.

You should come to my focus group tonight.

Just as I am about to make up some stupid excuse as to why I couldn't make it, something stops me. Do I really have anything better to do?

The answer is no.

Sure. I reply.

I'll come pick you up in a half hour. Kat writes back.

I obviously couldn't show up to the focus group wearing sweats and an oversized t-shirt, so I head upstairs to shift through my closet.

My phone dings again telling me I have another text message.

I look down and see that this one is from Julia.

This is the most popular I've been in the last week.

Sadly.

Hey, it's the last saturday before we go back to school. Come get crazy with me!!!!!

One too many exclamation points for taste. Uh... I reply

Teagan, you have to stop sulking over Theo and you also have to stop watching that freaky zombie show. Next thing you know, you'll be one of those crazies who prepare themselves for the apocalypse. I'll take you out tonight to prevent that from happening.

Take me where? I ask.

Out. She replies and I roll my eyes even though she can't see me.

Wow. Specific.

It will be fun. I PROMISE. You don't have a choice and I'm coming to pick you up at nine.

She says nothing else and I find myself in a difficult situation. It's probably another one of her parties, which don't end up too bad. You just have to stay away from the druggies and the red solo cups. I'm usually not the one to be peer pressured into things, but I sort of wanted to go. I really didn't want to spend my last weekend sulking on the couch like Julia said.

I need to just get over myself.

****

I couldn't really back out of Kat's invitation because I didn't want to be a complete ass to her by blowing off the focus group event. Although, I really didn't want to go to some strangers house and talk about Jesus for two hours then go out partying later. But if you think about it, there really wasn't anything wrong with that.. Right?

"We are meeting at Alec's house today-" She begins and my blood runs cold.

"Wait... Did you say Alec?"

Kat frowns. "Yeah... I know it didn't work out between you two. I should have told you. I'm sorry, I totally forgot-"

"No, no. It's fine." I lie and step out of the car. Does Alec even know what his father is doing? Or did Alec just 'like' me because his father told him to? Well, that last part wouldn't really make sense. I wasn't involved in any of this when Alec asked me out.