5: Willow

I was losing my mind being stuck in the farmhouse. My family had acted like I broke my back in two when I arrived back from France. When I came back I was sentenced to staying in my room like the step sister no one wanted. The doctors were trying everything in order to avoid surgery, but they kept talking about surgery being a possibility. Ever since I fell the pain in my lower back had been so brutal and intense. Spondylolisthesis was what I had been diagnosed with and it was making me sadder every day.

The depression really started when I was told I would be needing surgery to correct my spine. I guess I had really screwed it up when I fell. I couldn't even fall right. Maybe that was why I was walking around a grocery store when I couldn't even buy anything. Having surgery in the morning meant I couldn't eat or drink, but I needed to move.

Avery and Scarlett had been pissed when I said I wanted to leave for a little bit. They were insisting that I stay in my bed like a good little boy, like I was five again. Maybe that was why I had stormed out of the house, taking Avery's keys before she could stop me.

I knew people were whispering about me the few weeks I had been home. They probably wanted to see if I looked any different from before I had screwed everything up. That could have been why my sisters were hiding me from the world. I was getting cabin fever too much to care.

I immediately noticed people staring at me as I walked into the store. They started whispering with each other as I walked around all the food I couldn't eat. I tried to not let it bother me but it was. Everything was bothering me. I probably should have just stayed in bed.

The stares followed me as I walked down the chip aisle, finally getting a moment alone. My eyes glanced up at the ceiling as my mind wandered to the surgery scheduled for tomorrow. Hopefully it would even work and they wouldn't have to do it again.

When I realized I should probably go back home, I looked up to see Ryan staring down at me. The shock of seeing him made me fall back into the shelves, making chip bags fall onto the ground. He leapt forward when I started to sway and his hand steadied my elbow. I could feel my body tense as I stared up at him. He had never touched me before, and he wasn't even touching my bare skin. But it had felt like someone had electrocuted my body. He must've felt my body tense because just as quick as he touched me, he released me. I wrapped my arms around myself to try and calm myself down.

"Willow I'm so sorry."

I tensed again because he had never called me by my real name. For endless years it had always been Fairy, nothing else. I was shocked he even knew my real name. Even though I should be upset, I couldn't stop thinking about how great my name sounded on his lips.

His body tensed as he suddenly looked over at the small crowd that was watching us from the end of the aisle. I could feel my cheeks heat up as I looked away and instead looked at Ryan. He looked pissed, his hands balled into fists. I'm sure if I touched his hands he'd calm down. Ugh Willow stop.

"Take a picture, it'll last fucking longer." Everyone scurried away from his voice, my own body shrinking back into the chips.

His eyes were looking back down at me, my body weirdly tingling from his gaze. That made me even more pissed than I was before mainly because I hated that I was still attracted to him. He had been someone who had caused so much pain growing up, I shouldn't be feeling tingly. Shows just how weak I was. I simply gave him one final look before walking away.

I didn't get very far before I turned around and walked back to where I had just been. I wanted to know why he was like this, why he was actually somewhat nice. I mean he had apologized and had called me by my name. Why couldn't he have been nice years and years ago?