One

Vesuvia. I've been here for almost a year, working at a quaint magic shop. I'm thankful I have a place to work, and a roof over my head. My master had a spare bedroom in his house upstairs from his shop, so he kindly offered it to me. Before, I was sleeping where I could: under bridges, in alleyways, etc. When I was awake, I was in the marketplace doing tarot readings for money to get food. That's how I met my master. He saw me doing a love reading for a couple, and ventured over after they left, asking if I was a magician. During the conversation,we talked about all sorts of things. Magic, familiars, readings. He took note of my clothes being dirty, and my shoes worn.

I explained how I left home a month prior, and I was still looking for a stable job to buy a place to live. He looked surprised before it quickly faded as he smiled. That was when he offered to be my master in magic, a job at his shop, and the extra room. I jumped on the opportunity, thanking him numerous times as we walked to his home. The next day, he took me out to buy proper clothes, shoes, and even bought me lunch.

It's been almost a year since I moved here, and needless to say, it was the right decision.

"Rae, are you awake?"

I felt my heart flutter as I hear Asra call my name from his room.

"Yeah, I'm in the kitchen making breakfast and tea. Would you like some?" I call back. Before I heard an answer, I felt something slither up my leg to my shoulder. I turn and look at Faust, Asra's familiar. I smile as I lightly scratch under the snake's chin, greeted with a small lick to my cheek.

"Good morning to you, too, Faust," I greet her.

"So that's where you went, Faust. Wanted to greet Rae before me, hm?"

I turned the other way and saw Asra there, leaning against the door frame, arms crossed with a smirk on his face. "If I didn't know any better, I'd say you liked Rae more than me."

"Oh, come, now, we know you're her favorite person, Master," I said with a small chuckle. Asra simply shakes his head, walking towards the pile of plush pillows he has near the kitchen. Foust slithers down my body and went to Asra in a heartbeat. "What tea would you like?"

"Whatever tea you're taking will be fine, thank you," he replied as he curls up. I smile at him as he closes his eyes, getting comfortable on his pile of pillows. Turning back to the stove, I put the kettle on while I continue with breakfast. It doesn't take too long, and soon I'm handing Asra a mug of green and jasmine tea with a plate of seasoned eggs and ham. I sit at the table with my own breakfast and take a small sip of my tea.

"Are you going out today, Master?" I ask, noticing he was already in outing clothes and his boots.

"Yeah, I'm going to visit Muriel this morning. Would you like to join me?" he asks in between bites of food. I shake my head a little.

"No, I'll be okay. I know he doesn't like visitors much, and I don't want to overwhelm him," I answer.

"Are you sure? I know he likes you, and it's rare for him to make friends like he did with you."

That may be true, but I didn't want to make Muriel uncomfortable by adding a second body to his small hut. It didn't take long for him to warm up to me, but I suspect that had to do with Inanna, his wolf companion, liking me the moment I met her. Muriel doesn't really like visitors, but with how long he's known Asra, he's the exception.

"I might see what Julian is up to, or maybe visit Nadia. I know you said we can close the shop today, so I want to get out in the town for a while," I insist. I see a spark of guilt flash in Asra's eyes.

"You don't really get out much because I'm always gone on adventures, and I'm sorry about that, Rae. But I promise you, I'll be home for a good while this time," he apologizes. I set my mug down on the table and look at him.

"Don't apologize, Master. I know you do it to gather supplies for the shop, and I can't expect you to be cooped up here, either. One of us should get out more often than not, and I'm okay with being here by myself," I say, half lying to him. When he leaves to go on his adventures, it gets lonely here at the shop. I'm thankful I have Julian and his sister, Portia, to keep me company. But something about Asra is different when it's just the two of us. I get flustered easily, my heartbeat is slightly sporadic, and just having him near me calms me down.

I've never admitted my feelings for him, mainly because he's my master. I wouldn't want things to get awkward between us if he doesn't feel the same, and I wouldn't want it to cause a strain in our friendship. I don't know when the feelings started, and before I knew it, they were there.

"Hmm... If you say so, Rae. I'll clean up since you cooked, and you can head out before me. I'll lock up the shop, I know you're dying to go have fun," he offers, sending me a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. I let out a small sigh before giving him a smile. After I dress for the day and put my hair in a low bun, I go tell Asra I was off. I find him in the kitchen, humming to himself while he washes the dishes with Foust in the windowsill, soaking up the sun.

"I'm off, Master. I'll be home for dinner, if you'll be," I announce, making him turn his head towards me.

"We could always go out to eat, if you'd prefer. We haven't gone out in a while, have we?" he suggests, a smirk playing on his lips. I felt my heart beat faster, a small blush forming on my cheeks.

"That sounds great. When would you like to meet up, and where?" I ask, my mouth forming its own smile.

"How about by the baker's stand, say close to sunset? I know this place that opens up closer to that time, and they serve the best food."

"Okay! I'll see you then," I say, reaching for my coat.

"Oh, it's a bit chilly out. Why don't you take one of my scarves? It'll keep your neck warm with your hair up," he offers, tilting his head towards his mounds of scarves. I walk over and reach for the first one I see, which is a deep purple with gold tassels on the end. I wrap it around my neck, tight enough to keep me warm.

"Thank you, As- Master. I promise to take care of it," I mumble into the scarf, almost calling him his name. "I'd best get going, I need to go to the market and pick up a few things before finding the buffoon."

Asra chuckles and gives me a cute smiling, adding, "Alright. Please be careful, Rae." I nod and hurry out the door before he could notice my face as red as a tomato.