Architectural Hell

Start from the beginning

It wasn't the way out, but it was a narrow path where they could funnel the enemies. So (Y/N) yells out to the retreating frontliners.

(Y/N): It's clear, we can deal with them here.

A groan comes from the edge of the path, a lost was hanging there in wait for some easy prey.

Using the pointy end of his pointy stick, (Y/N) pokes the lost's hand off of the edge and watches as he plunges down.

(Y/N): How was that a good idea?

Back to the actual threats, they held their ground by having Yakumo and Luca hold the lost back and block as many hits as they could, while Louis cast fireballs and (Y/N) and Mia picked off whoever was wounded.

So they fought.

And fought, for the better part of 10 minutes until the flood of lost was reduced to nothing. As the haze cleared from the air the explorers caught their breath, regenerating as needed.

(Y/N): That took a long time. Does that happen often?

Louis: Only in some places, but this one was exceptionally long.

(Y/N) looked at his right index finger, staring at the small prick on it used to drain his blood into the bayonet. He didn't know how much it took from him, so he had been a bit on the economical side even if he didn't have to.

Louis: Nice shooting, you didn't drop it this time.

She complimented him and gently slapped his arm.

(Y/N): Nah, I could use some pointers.

Yakumo: Maybe, but you don't have an instructor.

(Y/N): Didn't you go to war or something? You oughta have something to teach.

Yakumo shrugs and turns to the path back.

Yakumo: You pick it up by instinct, just improvise and you'll be fine.

It was time to go, they had seen everything in this place so they had to backtrack. When walking back though...

Mia: Hey. You're that human right?

(Y/N): The one you almost attacked in the pit? Yeah.

(Y/N) mentally facepalmed, his dense ass note realizing he was very rude to the girl who wanted to start a friendly chat. He had to come back fast, before what he said could sink in.

(Y/N): I'm sorry for you brother. Nicolas, right?

Mia: Close. It's Nicola, no s. And thanks, weren't you the one lugging me around the place during that fight?

(Y/N): Yes, I was. You put up quite the resistance.

Mia: I'm sorry, you were trying to save me and yet...

(Y/N): Relax, I get it. You never expect something like that to happen. Guess I don't need this thing anymore.

(Y/N) takes off his mask, partly because it was useless to him and impaired his vision. Though the tinted glass was protecting his eyes from the reflected light, so he had to squint and blink a bit before adjusting his eyesight to the lighting.

(Y/N): Well... my name is (Y/N), nice to meet you.

Mia: I'm Mia Karstein, a pleasure.

She closed her eyes, so (Y/N) could only imagine she was smiling under that small mask.

Luca: Hey guys, I found a path up these staaaAAAAAAAA...

Snapping their eyes in Luca's direction, (Y/N) and Mia find a short flight of stairs heading up and at the top a gaping hole from which Luca had fallen down.